Rights on Dune

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 2 months ago
Good time of the day!
I should like to create the play in the universe of the Dune of the author Frenk Gerbert.
But I do not know to whom belongs to the right on use universe this books!
Can somebody help me to understand all this, so I did not break any whose rights?
Who can I contact about copyright, and the possibility of using this universe...

(rus)

??????? ??????? ?????!
? ????? ?? ??????? ???? ?? ????????? ???? ?????? ?????? ????????.
?? ? ?? ???? ???? ??????????? ????? ?? ????????????? ????????? ???? ?????!
????? ??? ????????? ??????? ?????????? ?? ???? ????, ????? ? ?? ??????? ?? ??? ??????
? ???? ?????????? ?? ?????? ????????? ????, ? ??????????? ????????????? ?????? ?????????...

Advertisement
The rights probably belong to the author's son Brian Herbert, who has co-authored some additional books. Given there are already some video-games based on the stories some of the rights may have been transferred or tied up in an exclusivity contract.

You're probably better off to simply create your own setting and characters.

Hope that helps. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

IANAL, but:

• The majority of Dune copyrights/trademark are owned by The Herbert Limited Partnership (mostly consisting of his heirs).
  • The film and TV rights are owned by the producer Richard Rubinstein, Paramount pictures having let their option lapse.
  • Westwood Studios, Virgin Interactive and Cryo Interactive have all been licensed to produce Dune games at some point in time.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Unfortunately, all attempts to further employ the Dune copyrights have not been fruitous.
It seems that the Herbert Limited Partnership and Herbert Foundation are not willing to further capitalize on this franchise in any way shape or form.
Given what's been done with these rights in the recent past, I can agree with their position.

like jbadams said, you're better off starting your own universe...

Deadly,
What's the point of those two videos? Do you have a question? Or are you making a point?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

These videos were made long ago in 2011...
Now we want to create everything at high level, but before we would like to find out all legal moments. And we don't know, what actions to us are necessary for making to use the Dune Universe. For whom specifically to us it is necessary will address or can be to consult...

You need permission from The Herbert Limited Partnership to proceed or you risk being shut down or potentially even facing legal action.

There's no real harm in trying, but it's pretty unlikely that you'll be given permission. See the faq on FrankHerbert.net:

Q. Are there any plans to have the classic Avalon Hill or Parker DUNE board games re-released?
A. No plans. The rights for DUNE games are currently tied up.

Q. Are there any plans to produce the DUNE RPG?
A. Unfortunately the rights are no longer available and are now controlled by the producers of the DUNE and CHILDREN OF DUNE miniseries.
[/quote](Emphasis mine.)

You're probably best of to simply invent your own setting and characters not based upon Dune.

- Jason Astle-Adams

All perfectly understand that the Universe of the Dune to copy anew quite difficult. And own Universe won't be compared from the installed Dune, or will be it is very likely that in fact and will be a copy...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement