Should you support Linux?

Started by
24 comments, last by derda4 11 years, 6 months ago
What are sales of a game on Linux like compared to Windows and Mac? Assuming a game that would seemingly fit the Linux market, a real time strategy game, how much would it sell on Linux?
Advertisement
Sales are low for most games; there is an abundance of high quality free games out there for Linux, so why pay for a new game?

Generally the answer is no, it will not be a commercial success.

However, certain major titles are ported to Linux and do reasonably well commercially. They are the exception rather than the rule, and they are generally major game titles.
Also, this seems to be a business question (sales estimates) so moving to Business forum.
"Should you support Linux?" I'd support Linux before Macs, but thats just me.

Maybe for every 90 sales of a game on Windows, you'd make 10 sales on Linux.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

RTS games make for good tablet software. Windows + Android + iOS.
I already support Windows, Mac, iOS and plan on doing Andriod. I was wondering if Linux would be worth it, most of what I have found for real numbers suggest its not worth it.
in your place I would make a half "support", which means make that the game "works" on linux is not an expensive investment, meaning that the dev should from the start use good portable libraries and never use platform specific code. This can enable linux support but other OS as well and even enable developers themselves develop on their preferred platform. Then commercially, I would sell on linux but not support it, meaning that the agreement is a "sold as is, with no guarantees", because like the man from Gnome said, linux on Desktop is dead because of difficult proprietary deployment. With this strategy, you reduced cost of linux technical "support", you don't have the trouble of post-sale support service, and still you are selling on the platform. It comes with little a risk, if your program never works and you provide no client support, angry people will make noise. But linux people shout on linux forums. eheh
You don't get a lot of sales on Linux, but its generally not an overcrowded market. The big advantage you might have here is if your game is "a lot like" another game (say, an RTS) and your competitors didn't port to Linux yet. You might rake a few sales you wouldn't otherwise. If you can identify your market and competition effectively, it might turn into a more appealing market. Without more details about your product, it would be impossible to advise.
I think with Steam moving to Linux we'll see soon enough if Linux has legs for gamers and game developers. If you're targeting the pair of Windows\OSX then you'll be looking at cross platform libraries anyways so adding Linux is going to be less of an investment than you might think.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/
Linux gamers may be fewer in numbers but they sure do fork over more cash. The article below illustrates my point.

http://www.hypable.com/2012/10/03/humble-indie-bundle-6-ends-2-million/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement