Sign in to follow this  
Crusable77

SDL pisses me off

Crusable77    594
Hello, i am trying to use SDL but my IDE (VIsual c++ 2010) wont link SDL properly. I have tries making new projects, moving the folders, and re downloading it. Nothing worked. I am following Lazy Foos tutorials but im cannot get this stupid thing to work.

My code:

#include "SDL.h"
int main(){
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
SDL_Quit();
return 0;
}

My errors:

1>------ Build started: Project: SpaceShooter, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> Main.cpp
1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Quit referenced in function "int __cdecl SDL_main(void)" (?SDL_main@@YAHXZ)
1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _SDL_Init referenced in function "int __cdecl SDL_main(void)" (?SDL_main@@YAHXZ)
1>MSVCRT.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\Users\Mathew\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\SpaceShooter\Debug\SpaceShooter.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I hate this so much. I followed the tutorial to the letter, i re read it multiple times, and then googled it. I looked for a youtube tutorial Nothing worked. Please im desperate, i need help!

Crusable77    594
I followed the instructions on Lazy foo's website, http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/msvsnet2010e/index.php. In the properties i added the path for the include and lib folder. then i changed the runtime library to Multi-Threaded dll. ANd then, under the linker section, i added SDL.lib and SDLmain.lib to the additional dependencies. I also changed the subsystem to Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS). I inputted the code he game me, then i got all those errors.

L. Spiro    25619
What is the full path to SDLmain.lib? Copy-paste it.
What is the path you entered into your Library Directories? Copy-paste it.
What did you paste under Additional Dependencies? Copy-paste it.

L. Spiro

Crusable77    594
There was no path t SDLmain.lib, i just put it in the additional Dependencies SDL.lib;SDLmain.lib;%(AdditionalDependencies):
Library directories: C:\SDL-1.2.15\lib\x64;$(LibraryPath)

Crusable77    594
And this shows up in the output window:

'Space Shooter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Mathew\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Space Shooter\Debug\Space Shooter.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Space Shooter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Space Shooter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Space Shooter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The program '[2036] Space Shooter.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741701 (0xc000007b).

mhagain    13430
Did you just copy (or move) the SDL lib from the x64 folder to the x86 one? That won't magically make it a 32-bit library. If you're building a 32-bit program you need a 32-bit library, and it doesn't matter what the folder it's in is called, if it's a 64-bit library it won't link.

kidman171    498
[quote name='n0name' timestamp='1349869948' post='4988682']
Also try using
"int main(int argc, char *argv[])" instead of "int main()"... VC was giving me linking errors when using just main()
[/quote]

@OP: I got the same error a few weeks ago and the quoted response solved the problem. You need the arguments to main for SDL to work correctly

?????????    199
[quote name='Mathew Bergen' timestamp='1349925170' post='4988944']
... people said that they had to reformate their drive and, and i did and now it works...
[/quote]
That sounds a little bit too extreme. You really should not have to do that. I am pretty sure you just had some libraries and files in the wrong places.