Character stat balancing

Started by
0 comments, last by Ashaman73 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

Currently i am fleshing out some characters in my design document and i was wondering if there where any good rules when giving characters (player and non player) there stats, attributes and skills. I want the game to start fairly easy but increase in difficulty in a steep curve while not making it impossible.

Obviously i can just throw some random numbers in them and tweak them as i test but i was wondering if there are some rules or any documents i could read.

My character system currently works like this:
1) Each character has 8 attributes which alter stats and skills.
2) These attributes are divided for each character as a percentage to give some randomness. Like constitution involves health points.
3) Characters has some base stats to shape it better in the early game.
4) Character have some bonus modifiers to shape them throughout the game.

I was thinking about letting the players damage output/weakness vs enemy damage output/weakness scale linear throughout the game. But the player gains skills and has a human brain vs probably my poor AI.
Advertisement
I've no proofen concept, but what I do to get some starting point in this mess, is to define a virtual,level dependent norm character and adjust the attributes relative to the norm character.

I start with a goal, for example I choose a melee fight, the attacking character should hit the target character X times until the target character gets defeated. No I throw in some meaning full numbers until this screnario works (attack 10, hp 50, armor 5 => 10 hits until character is defeated).

Next I add some kind of levels, a simple linear approach works (lvl 10 norm character = 10 * (level 1 norm character)).

Now I ensure , that the player character meets most of the norm character abilities, if he overperformes in one area, he should have an disadvantage in an other area. Equipment is grouped in an equal manner (norm character level 10 equipment etc.).

Eventually I define the monster relativly by the norm character by increasing/reducing some attributes to give them a relative strength. I.e. a weak level 10 monster would equals a level 10 norm character with 50% hp, 40% attack etc. , whereas a boss could have 150% hp,90 % attack etc.

From there on I will need to balance it from mob to mob.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement