• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

more tic tac toe

This topic is 1915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[quote name='alvaro' timestamp='1350915126' post='4992774']
No, that's not how it works. Array indices do start at zero, so in an array of size 8, the last valid entry has index 7.
[/quote]

When I made my TicTacToe game my board was an array[8] and I never had a problem with using all 9 spaces in it, so I'm not sure what you mean...
I'm confused :P

Advertisement
[quote name='littletray26' timestamp='1350965907' post='4992977']
When I made my TicTacToe game my board was an array[8] and I never had a problem with using all 9 spaces in it, so I'm not sure what you mean...
I'm confused
[/quote]
That's because memory is allocated in pages and you got lucky with the last element having been allocated as a side effect, especially in debug mode, or some other reason. But it is technically undefined behaviour and using it is a big no-no, as it is (quite literally) not supposed to work.

It's like saying "I need 9 elements in my array but I'm only going to allocate 8 because I like taking risks and playing with factors which are out of my control." [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]

An array[n] only has valid indices between 0 inclusive and n [color=#ff0000][b]exclusive[/b][/color]. Edited by Bacterius

[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1350966220' post='4992978']
I'm confused
[/quote]
That's because memory is allocated in pages and you got lucky with the last element having been allocated as a side effect, especially in debug mode, or some other reason. But it is technically undefined behaviour and using it is a big no-no, as it is (quite literally) not supposed to work.

It's like saying "I need 9 elements in my array but I'm only going to allocate 8 because I like taking risks and playing with factors which are out of my control." [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]

An array[n] only has valid indices between 0 inclusive and n [color=#ff0000][b]exclusive[/b][/color].
[/quote]

Well you learn something new everyday :) I'm not sure why this wasn't mentioned in my C++ book but thank you :)

[quote name='littletray26' timestamp='1350971976' post='4992994']
[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1350966220' post='4992978']
I'm confused
[/quote]

An array[n] only has valid indices between 0 inclusive and n [color=#ff0000][b]exclusive[/b][/color].
[/quote]

Well you learn something new everyday [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img] I'm not sure why this wasn't mentioned in my C++ book but thank you [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
[/quote]

Get a better C++ book then, because whatever one you have probably should just be burned.

It should also be noted that the valid range of pointers to an array A with a size n is A to A + n [color=#ff0000]inclusive[/color]. The main thing is that the dereferencable range of A is A to A + n [color=#ff0000]exclusive[/color].

[quote name='Washu' timestamp='1350972358' post='4992996']
Get a better C++ book then, because whatever one you have probably should just be burned.
[/quote]

Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. Burn away

[quote name='phil67rpg' timestamp='1350866639' post='4992635']
I have tried fisherYates shuffle but it still does not work.here is my code
void Computer::move_player_O()
{
srand(time(NULL));
const int length=10;
int array[length];
for(int t=1;t<=9;t++)
array[t]=t;
fisherYates(array,length);
player_O=array[t];
t++;
}
void Computer::check_player_O()
{
board[player_O]='O';
}
[/quote]

int array[length]; this will not work try

int *array=new int[length];

and after you have done working

delete[] array;

[quote name='giobs111' timestamp='1350979495' post='4993021']
[quote name='phil67rpg' timestamp='1350866639' post='4992635']
I have tried fisherYates shuffle but it still does not work.here is my code
[...]
const int length=10;
int array[length];
[...]
[/quote]

int array[length]; this will not work try[/quote]

Why wouldn't it work? `length' is a compile-time constant and using it as an array length is perfectly kosher.

[quote]int *array=new int[length];

and after you have done working

delete[] array;
[/quote]
You only need to do that if `length' is not known at compile time. Even in that case, some compilers (e.g., gcc) do support [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-length_array"]variable-length arrays[/url]. VLAs are part of the C99 standard and they almost made it to the C++11 standard.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement