Requesting Engine Knowledge

Started by
13 comments, last by mixmaster 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone, I know this is probably a silly question, but I'm not informed on matters myself, so I would love to get some information from people more experienced on the subject than I am. I was wondering if I could get an estimation on the type of engine that is being run in the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm games, designed by CyberConnect2. There's a link at the bottom of this post to an example video on youtube of some gameplay, if you aren't familiar with the game itself. I'd love to know if anyone can recognize the engine that's been used to make the game, or if there are existing engines with similar capabilities, specifically, I'm referring to the animation that's present in the game and the general visual style of it. Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this field, but I'd love to become more educated on the matter. Thank you for your time.

- Rowan

[media]
[/media]
“It doesn’t matter how hard it is. We just have to do it –because we have to. There’s no other choice.” - Hugh Jeremy
Advertisement
http://www.unrealeng...e/asuras_wrath/

From what I can tell they use Unreal Engine a lot.

Cheers

Lee

Code is Life
C/C++, ObjC Programmer, 3D Artist, Media Production

Gmail : leestripp@gmail.com

Could something similar to this be created on an engine such as UDK or Unity? And if not, how difficult and expensive would it be to create an engine such as this?
“It doesn’t matter how hard it is. We just have to do it –because we have to. There’s no other choice.” - Hugh Jeremy
Well, how difficult or expensive? Let me think? 30 Million Dollars, a 300 person team, and more than 40,000 man-hours of work?
All joking aside, those estimates were nice. It would take more than that. If you want to make a game, you're not making this as your first one. Learn how to program, or if that's too much use gamemaker or something else. Unity3d, UDK, Cryengine, will all still require programming, especially for game like this. You should probably start off with something extremely simple (Program Pong!) and then slowly move up in the game-development ladder. But without at least a five man team,with a large budget, dedicated artists, and some good programmers, you're not making this.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Also, UDK is the free version of Unreal Engine. However the licensing fees are huge, so you're going to have to get some funding, and if you're game becomes successful, it's a large royalty fee.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

I don't see anything in that video that couldn't be produced in another, cheaper, engine. So many times, people look at a video and think "gosh, that engine is awesome", when what they really should be thinking is "gosh, those artists and programmers are awesome." Once a certain basic set of technical capabilities are met by the engine, then it is up to the content producers to actually make it look nice. If they know their business, it'll look nice. If not, well... I've seen good stuff done in Irrlicht, and I've seen shitty stuff done in UDK.
The animated style of the above game is an ideal I have set for a project I mean to create, one way or another. I'd love to know the technical side of what would go into making a finished product like that, from a programming standpoint, with an engine like UDK or Unity, or any existing budget engine that people are familar with. My questions about the engine are because I wouldn't want to invest unecessary time and money into an engine that's not actually capable of producing something of that quality, regardless of the talent of the people involved in the production.
Edit, the OP's question was unclear.

And from a programming standpoint:
You need artists.

I think you've made a pretty broad assumption about what I'm looking for here. I never said it would be easy, I never said I'm starting from scratch, and there are a lot of assumptions that you've made that aren't relavant to the topic at hand. I'm simply looking for information from people more experienced than myself that can provide a perspective I was not capable of having. A "harsh dose of reality" is not necessary, although I appreciate the sentiment, but I am completely aware of the difficulty of what I've chosen to do, something which I have still not stated, by the way. So my above question still stands, of what is the starting point for something graphically like the above? I'm not asking how to do it, I'm asking how one would go about starting it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement