Destructor vs Cleanup()

Started by
28 comments, last by Chindril 11 years, 6 months ago
Hey I have bumped into a lot of code that uses a Cleanup() member function for their classes instead of using the destructor. I have found myself starting to mix both alternatives which feels bad and I'd rather want to be consistent. What are the pros and cons? What's your opinion?

EDIT: The same question goes for the constructor and Init().
Advertisement
There is almost never a good reason for a separate 'cleanup' function in C++. You are stuck with that sort of thing in a garbage collected language (i.e C#'s IDisposable), but the careful use of RAII renders manual collection superfluous in C++.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I usually use a Cleanup method in languages that don't use destructors.
But with C++ it's better to just stick with constructors and destructors, what swiftcoder said.

Start by doing what is necessary; then do what is possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Thanks for the answers! I know what I'm going to use from now on.
There are occasionally reasons to separate construction and initialization or destruction and clean up, most of which involve the fact that constructors and destructors are limited in their ability to convey error information. On platforms with poor exception handling, such as some consoles and embedded systems, or if you need to do a significant amount of interop with languages that don't understand C++ exceptions, then you may be in a situation where you want to do the heavy lifting in separate functions.
It also makes sense for reusable objects, especially heavyweight objects that are expensive to create and destroy, but cheap to recycle.

An example of reusable objects would be the C++ file streams. You can use it once by create, open, close, then destroy; or reuse with create, open, close, open, close, open, close, ... etc., then destroy.

It also makes sense for reusable objects, especially heavyweight objects that are expensive to create and destroy, but cheap to recycle.

Let me rephrase my earlier statement to read: "One should never aim to design code that requires a cleanup function in C++".

If you have an object which should be reused, or which lifetime should exceed its use, then consider allowing it to provide an RAII-compliant 'handle' object, which encapsulates the short-term operation.

An example of reusable objects would be the C++ file streams. You can use it once by create, open, close, then destroy; or reuse with create, open, close, open, close, open, close, ... etc., then destroy.[/quote]
Are fstreams really that heavyweight? Glancing at my local header files it looks like a mutex, a buffer, an underlying stream, and a handful of state variables. It seems to me that the cost of actually locking the mutex, and invoking an open syscall should dominate the construction costs of allocating the buffer.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

An example of reusable objects would be the C++ file streams. You can use it once by create, open, close, then destroy; or reuse with create, open, close, open, close, open, close, ... etc., then destroy.

Are fstreams really that heavyweight? Glancing at my local header files it looks like a mutex, a buffer, an underlying stream, and a handful of state variables. It seems to me that the cost of actually locking the mutex, and invoking an open syscall should dominate the construction costs of allocating the buffer.
[/quote]Please reread my post. No, they are not heavyweight. They are reusable.

Please reread my post. No, they are not heavyweight. They are reusable.

Sure, they're reusable, but the heavy cost is in the open operation, not the object creation operation (except when the object creation includes the open operation).

Reusing an fstream is like reusing an integer variable: the cost to maintainabilty heavily outweighs the runtime cost savings.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1350061504' post='4989518']
Please reread my post. No, they are not heavyweight. They are reusable.

Sure, they're reusable, but the heavy cost is in the open operation, not the object creation operation (except when the object creation includes the open operation).

Reusing an fstream is like reusing an integer variable: the cost to maintainabilty heavily outweighs the runtime cost savings.
[/quote]
The point was not about reuse cost.

The point was that sometimes a "reset this object" function is a good thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement