what is the best engine to start with?

Started by
2 comments, last by StrangeTurtle 11 years, 6 months ago
i need a good 2d engine that has everything with it.. like the map maker or sprite editor any ideas?
Advertisement
None, in my honest opinion... I think it's more important to learn how graphics programming works before you start using an engine that abstracts everything away. Your skills will be completely portable, whereas if you just learn to use an engine you are helpless without that particular engine... So I recommend you learn to do your 2D stuff with DirectX or OpenGL... alternatively the XNA Framework is a simpler way to get your feet wet. And if you're afraid of C++ you can always use a good C# wrapper like SlimDX or SharpDX to get at the DirectX API directly, or Tao or OpenTK for OpenGL...

Please visit our new forums and help us test them and break the ice!
___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are learning to program, you don't want to start using engines, you want to first start learning programming before you learn to program games. smile.png

If you already know how to program, I wouldn't suggest using an engine. Engines are good for 3D games, but for 2D games it's usually better to just use a 2D API instead of an engine. You didn't mention what language you use. If you use Python, try PyGame. If you use C++, try SFML.

You could use something like Tiled for making maps, or Mappy. Either one will require some work on your part to integrate with PyGame or SFML.

If you don't know how to program, and aren't learning how to program, then you probably want to use Construct or GameMaker - you can now download GameMaker from Steam, and it's integrated with Steam Workshop. wink.png
people often compare these open ended questions to HOW DO YOU MAKE A CAR? and often do not come up with useful responses
adobe flash games
game maker(beginner)
slick 2d.
jmonkey (is made for 3d but can do 2d just as easily looks just like netbeans java based applets/desktop aplications)

basic 2d games can be made with many generic programming languages find an IDE you like and begin exploring the graphics end of that language.
explore game tutorials for adobe FLASH this may be ur best platform to begin because you can deploy you game online easily

"Oh, God, I'm nervous. Two of my three hearts are having attacks." -Zoidberg
Site: http://www.strangeturtle.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement