Reputation system easily abused

Started by
11 comments, last by wodinoneeye 11 years, 6 months ago
There's no perfect system, and if anyone feels they are being abused via the rating system we always take the time to look into it and take any corrective actions necessary so long as we're made aware of the issue.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement

It boils down to having to figure out the exact format to write one's post, based on what is populate that day, and who is online. I've stopped posting in "point" areas, due to the "mob mentality" being really counter productive.
I haven't seen this anywhere here.

Believe it or not, some people do give bad advice, argue just to argue, or make crap posts. The down vote on bad advice is not a judgement on the personal worth of the poster. Obviously, the poster had good intentions with their advice, but that doesn't change that they aren't posting a good answer. So it becomes noise, and it helps the person with less experience realize that it wasn't a good answer. We rate posts, not users.

Awhile ago, someone asked a simple question and some idiot crashed the thread with an elitist response that wasn't even appropriate to the situation. Then he tried to justify it by going on long rants about what does and doesn't work in big budget AAA scenarios, when no one was talking about that, and kept going, and wouldn't shut up despite being off topic, and out of context. So he took a nice beating with down votes. It was a nice reminder that his attitude is not needed or required here, and the beginning user could find the best advice.
Looking at that thread, it seems to me that you upset someone by insisting after several people who have done game AI work told you (several times) that it doesn't work that way and doesn't make sense in practice.

Though I think that even being told "dude, what you're saying is total nonsense, it really works like this..." may be useful to a reader (who might have a similar idea). Insofar, I don't see your posts as so terribly bad that they deserve a downvotes, at least not the first ones (which I'll upvote).

That said, you should really not care too much about your score and downvotes (you've probably been told this before when you lost your 100 points in the lounge back then). Sure thing, it's annoying to get downvotes (even when you get more upvotes in total), but hey... that is only natural. Funnily, this is how real perception and real intelligence work -- real intelligence is not intelligent at all, and real perception is not based on reality (not much, anyway). Both are highly selective and biased, whether we like it or not. :-)

(I'm wondering whether that is evolutionary, and it probably is -- strongly noticing and remembering a negative thing probably helps you surviving in the wilderness.)

Looking at that thread, it seems to me that you upset someone by insisting after several people who have done game AI work told you (several times) that it doesn't work that way and doesn't make sense in practice.

Though I think that even being told "dude, what you're saying is total nonsense, it really works like this..." may be useful to a reader (who might have a similar idea). Insofar, I don't see your posts as so terribly bad that they deserve a downvotes, at least not the first ones (which I'll upvote).

That said, you should really not care too much about your score and downvotes (you've probably been told this before when you lost your 100 points in the lounge back then). Sure thing, it's annoying to get downvotes (even when you get more upvotes in total), but hey... that is only natural. Funnily, this is how real perception and real intelligence work -- real intelligence is not intelligent at all, and real perception is not based on reality (not much, anyway). Both are highly selective and biased, whether we like it or not. :-)

(I'm wondering whether that is evolutionary, and it probably is -- strongly noticing and remembering a negative thing probably helps you surviving in the wilderness.)

From the start I said AI 'offline' and elaborated on how that would be probably be used in development tools long before in-game 'real' AI would be used (if ever).

But I guess some people dont bother to read what they consider a 'wall of text' (twitter generation...) and/or missed/couldnt understand what I actually said (repeatedly)..

It looked like it was mainly one person whom, since I answered with posts a half dozen times in a dialog discussion, could easily just go down the thread and downcount each one (they all had timestamps within the same minute). The other onesies/singletons I saw didnt worry me much

--

Anyway looks like they did add changes to the system that eliminated alot of the previous issues from longs ago

Metering it (15 seconds each submission?) I suppose could disuade at least some such behavior - though maybe difficult on a web based system for timings of that kind to work. A larger number of downs (than 5-6?) would be stopped by the daily down limit. The -1 penalty can be countered by irrelevant upcounts (if the person does that kind of thing alot).

Anyway is the eternal problem where you have to accept 'good enuf for most situations'
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement