Feedback please!

Started by
4 comments, last by mettsmusic 11 years, 6 months ago
Hey! I just finished a composition using 8bit sounds here and there. I would like to hear some feedback. So, please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks! :-)

http://soundcloud.co...c/dusty-deserts
Advertisement
For some reason that link didn't work. Here is the new one.

http://soundcloud.com/mettsmusic/dusty-deserts
In the second half of the piece I would use a different melody on the synthesizer, just so that when it loops people aren't constantly hearing the same thing over and over, at least there would be a variation before it repeats. I also think the synth sine voice (or whatever it is) could benefit from some more programming, e.g. add some envelopes, some modulation whatever so that the voice also changes a bit. But these are just my suggestions, feel free to read and ignore :)
www.soundcloud.com/roblaidlowmusic
Call me Rob
Hey,

Here are some quick-n-dirty thoughts on your piece:

Pros:

I like the drum beat with the retro elements mixed in. Very effective!

Good bassline!

Cons:

I liked the change up in textures at times but the piece basically offered one flavor. I'd recommend exploring a contrasting flavor which can freshen things up a bit more. Dwell on that for a while and then return to the original flavor. It will make this song feel a bit more complete. Everything else Rob said, i.e. envelopes, modulation, etc is good advice as well.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Topsy tervy feel is cool. Reminds me a little of music for something like "Mechanarium" - although he synth sound might be a little over the top. The synth does draw attention to itself - which might not be what you're going for.
Hey guys! Thanks again for the feedback! Based on what everyone is telling me, I think I need to go back, or perhaps just start on a new piece, and add more variety. Along with mixing and balancing the track more. I can do this by adding a B section instead of just using the same theme and varying it up. Thanks guys! Your advice has really been helpful!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement