Does Time "Fly" When You Program?

Started by
9 comments, last by AlexB.hpp 11 years, 6 months ago
When you're programming, does time just seem to slip away? I've been programming for 2 hours and it feels like five minutes! All in all, I've spent at least 15 hours programming this week, but it feels like far less time. So for you, does time seem to just "Fly" when you program, or does it inch away slowly? I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement
For me time definitely flies, especially if I'm trying to make something challenging work. Before I know it it's 10 hours later and I really need to go to the bathroom.
Yeah, I blink and 3 hours are gone. Dont know why. When something isnt working, its twice as bad.
indeed, i started on what i'd thought would be a smaller section of my game a couple days ago at 10pm, and before i knew it, it was 9am when i was done.
but that occurs all the time, it's not uncommon to hear stuff like: "shit, it's already been another hour"

I think as a programmer(and really this applies to any profession), if your finding time is inching away(which means that your probably staring at the clock all the time), then it's likely programming isn't for you, since your probably not enjoying it.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Yes, far too quickly too and I always question "wtf have I done today?", time flies by so quick I actually use 'Timeleft' to remind me when I have to go eat, work out and more importantly sleep, crazy I know but its so easy for me to ermm "turn into a zombie" (as my friends would say).

I guess its because I am having fun
Yes, time does fly, and it kind of horrifies me. This summer I went on a week-long coding marathon, and I was disgusted by how inefficient I was. Noticing that 2 hours felt like 5 minutes made me want to make a conscious effort to get more done. But then that mental stress forced me to have to take 5 minute breaks every couple hours haha. So who knows if those breaks ate away a lot of the time I "saved".
I think it's related to the phenomenon described in this article:

http://blog.8thlight...ng-So-Hard.html
Time flies when I'm coding and I'm in the zone.

Time positively crawls when said code is compiling.
Once in a great while, I'll make the mistake of coming home during a break or lunch and checking out some code... AAAAND break's over. :(
I had a theory that the feeling of time flying has something to do with relativity and all the extra electrical activity in the brain. But I disregarded it when it occured to me that it feels like time goes so much slower when you're a kid and they have tons of extra energy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement