Straighten Me Out Here...

Started by
5 comments, last by Omaha 22 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been reading up on this for a while, and I just want to make this clear... Even if I write all the code myself to do it (ie I don''t use a pre-created library but rather come up with my own from research and whatnot), I''d still be infringing on some laws and violating patents if I used MP3 music in my game without paying anybody? I''m assuming that''s true, considering how difficult it is finding information for that library .
Advertisement
It''s the music that''s copyright, not the compression or storage method. As long as you''re using original music (that you own the copyright for), there''s nothing wrong with using the MP3 format.

codeka.com - Just click it.
Er, well, yeah, I know it''s illegal to use someone elses music... I was somewhat sure there was trouble using the MP3 format at all without permission...
There are problems writing an encoder, but I don''t think there''s anything wrong with writing a decoder.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Read the info at mp3licensing.com.

Excerpt:

Do I need a license to use mp3/mp3PRO in games?

Yes. Games using mp3/mp3PRO encoded content are licensed on a per-title basis.

However, No license fees are due if less than 5 000 copies of a particular game title are distributed.
Just as I thought!

But, of course, doh.

Oh well. I probably won''t be writing anything that will have more than 5000 units in the near future anyway
Just use OGG Vorbis, it''s at least as good as MP3, comes with an API for decoding (as well as encoding), and is license free.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement