Game topic Ideas :)

Started by
7 comments, last by Orymus3 11 years, 6 months ago
Hi! So this is my fist post on GameDev (Just thought I'd say that) Anyway last night I watched the video below. It was of a guy from valve, talking about how to get started in the Game buisness. So if you watch the video you will see that he says your first game will stink. But ive started several games (Ive never finished one before) What im asking from you guys is, what is an idea of a game you would like to share?
I use Unity/Playmaker/Blender/paint.net I know alot about unity, alot about playmaker, some about blender, and alot about paint.net. So all im asking is what kind of game should I start with? Maybe give me a theme, or a Genre, or even just a title. PLEASE Don't give away any ideas you wouldn't want me to use. Thank you!

Advertisement
Hi

(Ive never finished one before)

Why not? Finishing games is one of the most important things for beginners. Start with clones of Pong, Tetris, Bomberman and so on and FINISH them before you create more complicated games.
Alright... Start with pong? Let's see what I can do! :)
I would add, start with simple and well known games, and after finishing see if you can modify it in a new and innovative way, you might end up with some interesting mechanics.

Well, with pong Ive made the "Court" and the Paddles (They can move Too!) Im having some issues with ball But that should be worked out soon.
You could enhance Pong adding different mechanics, like gravity pools that appear randomly, some pinball mechanism, a maze, etc. Get creative and invent something interesting, just have in mind your skill level in Unity so you can finish it.

In my own experience, it is extremely fun to work on a very small-scope project. The idea is that you can deliver very quickly something (even if its not so fun). Then, you can just improve it (read, feature creep frenzy) and you learn all-along, while maintaining a product that is always working and can be shown.
You'll notice that a lot of indie developers have their devlogs up showing videos of a game that "always seem to work". The idea is that, much like games like minecraft, they've started with the core basis (I want to be able to move around) and just added stuff.
Needless to say that this helps keep your motivation up as the hurdle to getting "something done" is always very small compared to starting from scratch and making the whole. Sure, you do refactor down the road, and this transitions into loss of time, but you've both learned and had fun, so what's not to like?

As stated above, start with something like pong, make it whole. Once this is done, add more stuff in until it just can't take any more features. Release soon, release often, and keep builds of every release you've made.

Play them one after the other to remember where you're coming from and where you're going.
Thanks for the info guys! Pong is coming good I fixed the ball (even though it will sometimes stop randomly :)
I suggest to start a devblog too.
This may not get views at all, but it helps you reconcile your approach and reassess your own objectives by putting it in tangible form :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement