Help with Obstacle Avoidance Behavior

Started by
14 comments, last by IADaveMark 11 years, 6 months ago
I got what you said but just a little problem: which way to turn? I mean suppse there is an agent moving straight ahead in the forward direction to reach a target and between them lies an obstacle. now at a certain distance the agent detects the obstacle and decieds to turn away. which way should it turn? right or left?
Advertisement
if you draw a straight line between the avoider's center, and the obstacle's centers, then take the line from the avoider to it's destination, whichever side the line is on relative to the center line, is the side you should turn toward.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

if you draw a straight line between the avoider's center, and the obstacle's centers, then take the line from the avoider to it's destination, whichever side the line is on relative to the center line, is the side you should turn toward.

Well that's interesting. I'm going to try it and see what the result will be. thanks.
Shoot random rays in a cone ahead of you. 1 per frame. If it hits, immediately shoot another one straight forward. The orientation of the two points where the two rays hit (if the 2nd one hits at all) gives you a picture of whether the obstacle is angled toward or away from your immediate direction of travel. It also gives you an approximate angle that the object is oriented at. Therefore, you could choose to turn far enough to align parallel to the object (or farther).

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Shoot random rays in a cone ahead of you. 1 per frame. If it hits, immediately shoot another one straight forward. The orientation of the two points where the two rays hit (if the 2nd one hits at all) gives you a picture of whether the obstacle is angled toward or away from your immediate direction of travel. It also gives you an approximate angle that the object is oriented at. Therefore, you could choose to turn far enough to align parallel to the object (or farther).

Well I understand all you said except the first sentence. "Shoot random rays in a cone ahead of you". what's "in a cone" supposed to be?
You only need worry about stuff you might run into -- which is in front of you, right? If you send out a ray from center front of your agent with endpoints a certain distance in front of you (based on your current speed is good) with locations that are just a bit wider than you are, you are going to pick up stuff that you are potentially going to run into... not just directly in front, but with your "shoulders" as well.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement