Picking My Game's Name

Started by
27 comments, last by Liza Shulyayeva 11 years, 6 months ago
Out of all the stuff that I thought would be hard to do, picking a name for my game is easily the hardest. I've been working on this game since the beginning of summer, and I still have no clue as to what it should be. People tend to prefer two-worded games like "League of Legends" and "World of Warcraft", yet I see a lot of indies using one-worded names like "Minecraft" and "Terraria". On top of deciding this, a lot of copyrights already exist for good names.

What makes a game name good?

Can you guys help me pick out a game name too? My blog is http://jungletoe.com and my project is pasted there. I aim to have it be a mix between Civilization and Minecraft (ugh... I hate saying I'm using it for inspiration, isnt everybody?). Therefor, the gameplay is based around wilderness survival and politics with local player villages. Its a randomly generated world where you can do anything to it. The setting ranges from early human pre-history to the early iron age.

Thanks!
Advertisement
I think the name "Jungletoe" is quite charming and unique, and I don't see why you can't come up with a game title that's also charming and unique. How about calling the game "Jungletoe"?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Heh, Jungletoe is my internet username I chose when I was 11 because I was trapped in a jungle in Runescape and needed a new character. It doesn't really fit my theme either.

Is it possible to just stick with "Project Ember" as the actual game name? Until now, I've been using it as a temporary name, but Project Zomboid seemed to pull it off.
edit: Jungletoe's catchy enough. :) Plus, you wouldn't need to worry about another domain name.

Heh, Jungletoe is my internet username I chose when I was 11 because I was trapped in a jungle in Runescape and needed a new character. It doesn't really fit my theme either.
Okay. :)

Is it possible to just stick with "Project Ember" as the actual game name? Until now, I've been using it as a temporary name, but Project Zomboid seemed to pull it off.
[/quote]Hmmm... I don't know about the "Project" part of it, but "Ember" does sound sort of like "Empire", after all. :P
I would take the name from within the game itself.

For example, if I made a game where a young boy is trying to rescue a princess called zelda, I might call that game The Legend of Zelda.

If I were making a game set in the crusades, I would call it Crusader Kings.

What names are in your game? Make sure the name conveys what the game is about.

"Minecraft" for example, it is the words Mine and Craft since those are what you do.
If you do not have a good idea just now, try to take the stepwise approach (borrowed from the excellent screenwriting book "Save the Cat" http://www.blakesnyder.com/)

1. Write down one-two sentence logline (What this game is about?). You may try many different ones.
  2. For each one, try to find a name, that resonates with it (like Rybo5001 said)
  3. Test these loglines. Approach different people, tell that you are creating a game about... called ... and ask, what they think about it.
  4. Pick the one, that generates most interest in other people.
  5. Iterate if necessary.
Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/
Thanks! I compiled a list of what you can do, as you said I should:

-You survive in the wilderness/nature, build shelter, get food, and make a home. You can then start a village and engage in combat/diplomacy with others.

-You craft items and build up your stats so you can create a village, or just live as a nomad. You can choose to be a farmer, miner, craftsman, or warrior.

-The game is set during the Bronze and Iron Ages during human prehistory. You can invent new items and build villages.

-You can grow crops, mine ores, forge items, and hunt animals.

Any suggestions?
I just came up with "Tribal Lands". Is that good?
I actually like Tribal Lands

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement