Picking My Game's Name

Started by
27 comments, last by Liza Shulyayeva 11 years, 6 months ago
Name picking (for anything, not just games) is one of my favorite things to do and also one of the most challenging. I quite like Tribal Lands also - it's straightforward and utterly unpretentious.

Also thanks for the link to your blog, I've been looking for dev blogs to follow!
Advertisement
Tribal Lands is a winner I think, but for future reference, plugging words related to your theme into an online thesaurus and wandering around links wikipedia style (while copying words into a text document) is a great way to generate a lot of possibilities quickly.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Name picking (for anything, not just games) is one of my favorite things to do and also one of the most challenging. I quite like Tribal Lands also - it's straightforward and utterly unpretentious.

Also thanks for the link to your blog, I've been looking for dev blogs to follow!

Thanks for the follow! I'll be sure to follow you back smile.png

EDIT:
Have a link to yours?

Tribal Lands is a winner I think, but for future reference, plugging words related to your theme into an online thesaurus and wandering around links wikipedia style (while copying words into a text document) is a great way to generate a lot of possibilities quickly.

Yeah, that's basically what I did to find the name. The problem isn't that there are lots of interesting words, but rather that a lot of those names have already been taken by large software companies whom I'd rather not start a legal battle with :P
Ah, well good job then! Seems like a lot of people have a hard time with names and forget about a thesaurus as a resource.

I would only worry if you're picking the exact same name, it's totally legit to use synonyms to a large degree or to combine words in different ways. There's only so many words to go around, ya know?

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

Ok, I did some name switching and found that most people prefer "Tribelands" over "Tribal Lands". What say you?
You could possibly try a word generator. I've used them to generate names to save time and come up with cool names from other cultures. Here is a sample generator for words that also gives their definitions.

http://www.wordgenerator.net/random-word-generator.php

This is just an example, but if you google word generators there are tons of them out there that could suite your needs.

Ok, I did some name switching and found that most people prefer "Tribelands" over "Tribal Lands". What say you?

I personally much much prefer "Tribal Lands"
Have you considered just "Tribal"?

Dinosaurs Forever!

Have you considered just "Tribal"?

I would, but it's risky considering that there is both a corporation named "Tribal" and a popular game named "Tribes".
I still like Tribelands or Tribal Lands. I think the former is a little crisper since it drops a syllable. Keeping "lands" invokes the control or movement over territory, as well as hinting at some sort of community.

-Mark the Artist

Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement