• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gumgo

Storing a float as two half floats (GLSL 3.30)

7 posts in this topic

I would like to encode a single precision (32-bit) float in two channels of an RGBA16F framebuffer texture. I've written some code which I believe should work, but I have a few questions which I'm having trouble finding clear answers on.

First, the code. How it works is explained in the comments:

[source lang="plain"]
// we want to store a float in two half floats using some bit hackery
// first we interpret as integers so we can work with the bits
uint bits = floatBitsToUint( normalZDepth );
uvec2 parts = uvec2(
bits >> 16, // the higher 16 bits
bits & 0x0000ffff ); // the lower 16 bits
// each component's lower 16 bits now contain the lower and higher bits from the original value
// we want these bits to remain the same when put in 16-bit floats.
// we do this by putting these into normal 32-bit floats such that when these
// 32-bit floats are converted into 16-bit floats, the important bits will be all that remain
// 32-bit float: [ 1 (sign) | 8 (exponent) | 23 (mantissa) ]
// 16-bit float: [ 1 (sign) | 5 (exponent) | 10 (mantissa) ]
// when converting float to half:
// bit 31 (sign) moves to bit 15
// bits 23-30 (exponent) will be truncated such that bits 23-27 move to bits 10-14
// bits 0-22 (mantissa) will be truncated such that bits 13-22 move to bits 0-9
// therefore we construct the following integer to be cast back to float:
// position: [31] [30-28] [27-23] [22-13] [12-0 ]
// bits: [15] ...0... [14-10] [ 9-0 ] ...0...
// combining the contiguous portion of the exponent and mantissa we get:
// position: [31] [30-28] [27-13] [12-0 ]
// bits: [15] ...0... [14-0 ] ...0...
// so the final result is that we shift bit 15 by 16 over to bit 31, and bits 0-12 by 13 over to 13-27
uvec2 floatBits = ((parts & 0x8000) << 16) | ((parts & 0x7FFF) << 13);
// now just interpret as float - ready to be stored as half floats
vec2 halfBits = uintBitsToFloat( floatBits );

[/source]

1) I'm only guessing this is how float to half conversion works - by truncating the upper bits of the exponent and the lower bits of the mantissa. [b]Though actually now that I think about it, since the exponent is biased, this isn't quite right (but that should be easy to fix). [/b]Could someone explain how this conversion actually occurs? Are there rounding issues that could occur? (The rest of the bits in the mantissa are 0.) Is there an IEEE754 standard for this conversion, and if so, is GLSL 3.30 required to follow it?

2) Suppose one of the integers ended up holding the value 0111110000000000. Then the resulting (32-bit) intermediate float would be:
0 00011111 00000000000000000000000
which is a "valid" float (not NaN, etc.). But when converting to a 16-bit float, it would become 0 11111 0000000000, which is NaN. [b](Again I realize this is slightly wrong since I forgot to take the exponent bias into account, but you could easily construct an equivalent example with bias.)[/b] This is actually the behavior I desire, since it preserves the correct bits - and I would want other "harmless" bit patterns in the 32-bit float to convert to potentially "bad" values in the 16-bit float, such as underflow, overflow, infinity, denormalization, etc. However, I suspect this is not the case, since, for example, it would not make much sense for a "valid" 32-bit float to become an unrelated error just because the bits happened to line up in that way. So again, I guess this is the same as the first question - how exactly is the float to half conversion performed?

Alternatively, is there some way of telling GLSL to stick a particular set of bits into a half float output, rather than specifying a full float and hoping GLSL converts to half the way I want it to?

Or worded different... is there a way to guarantee a 1 to 1 mapping between half float bits and 16 bits of an integer?

Sorry, can't answer your question, but I'm curious why do you want to do it this way ? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.png[/img]

For one we have 32F textures. If you want to encode the depth, 24 bit (2 *12 bit mantissa) is sufficient, atleast for me. And if you want to keep 32 bit float while supporting older hardware, have you considered, that older hardware might have (performance) issues with integer calculations ?

I'm using RGBA16F textures for my framebuffer already for HDR, and I'm trying to pack normal/depth into one texture. Right now I'm putting nx and ny into r and g, and it would be nice if I could put (linear depth)*(sign(nz)) into b and a.

EDIT: I found a [url="ftp://www.fox-toolkit.org/pub/fasthalffloatconversion.pdf"]paper[/url] describing how one would deal with special value cases when converting to/from 16-bit floats. Using the information here, I modified my code (and also fixed the bias issue):
[source lang="plain"]
// first we interpret as integers so we can work with the bits
uint bits = floatBitsToUint( normalZDepth );
uvec2 parts = uvec2(
bits >> 16, // the higher 16 bits
bits & 0x0000ffff ); // the lower 16 bits

// each component's lower 16 bits now contain the lower and higher bits from the original value
// we want these bits to remain the same when put in 16-bit floats.
// we do this by putting these into normal 32-bit floats such that when these
// 32-bit floats are converted into 16-bit floats, the important bits will be all that remain

// 32-bit float: [ 1 (sign) | 8 (exponent) | 23 (mantissa) ] bias = 127
// 16-bit float: [ 1 (sign) | 5 (exponent) | 10 (mantissa) ] bias = 15
// the full conversion is:
// int16 ==> float ==> half ==> float ==> int16
// therefore, we must ensure that the set of "important" bits in each representation remains unchanged
// the following cases can occur:
// int16 ==> float ==> half ==> float ==> int16
// inf/NaN: s 11111 mmmmmmmmmm ==> s 11111111 mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s 11111 mmmmmmmmmm ==> s 11111111 mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s 11111 mmmmmmmmmm
// zero/denorm: s 00000 mmmmmmmmmm ==> s 00000000 mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s 00000 mmmmmmmmmm ==> s 00000000 mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s 00000 mmmmmmmmmm
// normal: s eeeee mmmmmmmmmm ==> s EEEEEEEE mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s eeeee mmmmmmmmmm ==> s EEEEEEEE mmmmmmmmmm0000000000000 ==> s eeeee mmmmmmmmmm
// note that in the normal case, the exponent is always in the range [-14,15]
// (EEEEEEEE represents the exponent after adjusted bias, which is still in the proper range [-14,15])

// in all cases, the sign bit and the mantissa remain unmodified
// therefore, we first copy them directly over
uvec2 floatBits = ((parts & 0x8000) << 16) | ((parts & 0x03FF) << 13);

// now we deal with the different cases (0x7C00 is the 16-bit mantissa mask, 0x7F800000 is the 32-bit mantissa mask)
uvec2 exp16 = floatBits & 0x7C00;
// simplified ((exp16 >> 10) - 15 + 127) << 23
uvec2 exp32 = (exp16 - 0x1C00) << 13;
bvec2 expIs00000 = equal( exp16, uvec2( 0, 0 ) );
bvec2 expIs11111 = equal( exp16, uvec2( 0x7C00, 0x7C00 ) );
if (expIs00000.x)
exp32.x = 0;
if (expIs00000.y)
exp32.y = 0;
if (expIs11111.x)
exp32.x = 0x7F800000;
if (expIs11111.y)
exp32.y = 0x7F800000;

floatBits |= exp32;

// now just interpret as float - ready to be stored as half floats
vec2 halfBits = uintBitsToFloat( floatBits );
[/source]
Untested, but in theory this should work (but of course, only if hardware actually abides by these rules). Does the OpenGL 3.3 spec define how these conversions should occur? Currently trying to find out... Edited by Gumgo

Not really what you asked, but i say anyway: i would just use two textures (RG16F + R32F).

Edit: if you went with RGBA16F because your framebuffer is 64bit and you heard you can not use different sized buffers - then, that restriction was lifted ages ago (iirc, way before 3.3 - which your workaround glsl requires [min for "uintBitsToFloat"]). Edited by tanzanite7

[quote name='Gumgo' timestamp='1350320601' post='4990440']
Right now I'm putting nx and ny into r and g, and it would be nice if I could put (linear depth)*(sign(nz)) into b and a.
[/quote]
I'm excatly doing this with a very simple encoding/decoding without any problem:

[CODE]
encoding: [depth=0..1]
scaled_depth = depth*2048.0;
result.x = floor(scaled_depth);
result.y = fract(scaled_depth);

decoding:
result = dot(encoded_depth.xy, vec2(1.0/2048.0,1.0));
[/CODE]

A [i]standard [/i]depth/stencil buffer have only 24 bits too, so this works for me for lightning, particle depth tests etc.

PS: a fast decoding could be useful too Edited by Ashaman73

I recommend using the [url="http://glm.g-truc.net/"]glm [/url]math library. It has support for half floats, and it is made for OpenGL and shader compatibility.

Thanks for the replies.
tanzanite7 - Whoa, I didn't realize that restriction was dropped! For now I've switched over to an R32F buffer for depth (which actually cut down on total gbuffer size, since I was using two RGBA16F textures before but now I'm using one RGBA16F and one R32F). In terms of older hardware support... if it doesn't support different sized attachments I'll just cut down to 32-bit buffers and get lower quality HDR I guess, though to be honest I'm not thinking too much about that (this is mostly just a hobbyist project).
Ashaman73 - I was hoping to store the exact bits, but if you haven't had any problems with that route then maybe I'll do that instead, as I think I'd have to jump up to 4.2 or 4.3 to "truly" support that type of float packing. Have you played with the value (2048.0) at all to determine if it is optimal for keeping precision?
larspensjo - the link seems broken. But unfortunately I don't think a math library will help for the problem I'm trying to solve.

[quote name='Gumgo' timestamp='1350497084' post='4991202']
Have you played with the value (2048.0) at all to determine if it is optimal for keeping precision?
[/quote]
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that 2048 is actually the value I use. That are 2x 11 bit + implicit leading 1, 24 bits, enough in my opinion considering that you don't use it for exact z-order.