• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ic0de

The process of making a level editor

5 posts in this topic

I have decided to help out my artists and develop some tools such as a level editor for my engine. Right now the workflow involves exporting chunks geometry data from blender then editing a text file to list the file address of each chunk and its position as well as the position of entities like monsters or lights. I was hoping to create a tool that would generate that file and let the artist move each chunk or entity and see the results graphically. I was wondering is the level editor usually using the same engine (mine is made in house) as the game itself or is it usually an original piece of software? Are there any universal editors than can be scripted to export to a custom map format? Also how does 3d selection work I would assume it involves ray-casting? Can someone point me in the right direction for making a level editor?

[quote name='L. Spiro' timestamp='1350445264' post='4990993']
3D selection does involve ray-casting. If that worries you, you may not be comfortable enough with 3D math to be able to complete a usable editor.
[/quote]

No. That doesn't worry me it's just I already use raycasting(provided by bullet physics) to check if my player can grab something among other things. I was just wondering if 3d selection worked the same way with a mouse as opposed to a rotating view. I was thinking just cast a ray from the mouse into the screen and select whatever the ray hits.

Just keep it as simple and practical as possible at the beginning. When I did a simple 3D level editor(simple as in 1 weeks work) I made sure It was a completely separate entity to my game. Therefore, the only thing I needed to do was to decide how I was going to store the data, so I could parse it accordingly when my game loads the level. It did however use alot of the code from my game, most notably the render and input code, with modifications to suit the editor;

Because I had such a short amount of time, I decided to limit the artists abilities to just translate,scale and rotate objects. I also decided to leave out the ability to add textures in the editor. I believe as a starting point, this is what you should aim to do.

You would have to make a decision as to whether or not you want to load the models from within the program dynamically, or to load them before hand. Clearly the dynamic option would be more use to the artist, as they wouldn't need you to dig around the code to load another model, but as a start, the pre-load method is adequate.

For ray-casting, you need to make sure you are only casting inside the "viewport" where your scene is being rendered. Otherwise, you will end up with a bogus cast because of the mouse position taking the entire window into account. Edited by dAND3h

[quote](1) Just keep it as simple and practical as possible ... (2) It was a completely separate entity to my game .. (3) decide how I was going to store the data, so I could parse it accordingly ... (4) use alot of the code from my game, most notably the render and input code, with modifications to suit the editor;
Because I had such a short amount of time (5), I decided to limit the artists abilities (6) to just translate,scale and rotate objects. I also decided to leave out the ability to add textures in the editor.[/quote]
Sorry but I disagree on some of the concepts here and I need to point those out so people can properly relate to the efforts involved.

(4), (2) We could discuss that. There's a code dependancy.
(3) this is not future proof. How my code loads its own data is the last of my concerns. What concerns me is compatibility across other DCC tools as...
(6) telling artists "you must use my editor" and "you cannot do that" is pretty far from best practice.
(1), (5) If I'm in a hurry, I don't write a level editor. I bolt my features on pre-made programs. Took me two days to write the blender scripts, and a week to refit the whole asset workflow. And I can guarantee my feature set is pretty rich.

My first (and last) attempt at a "slick" 3D level editor is something around 2001-2004 I think. Words fail to describe how limited it was and how much effort it required. In the end, it was just easier to filter input from other programs (not to mention this is required anyway as there's a large availability of test data on the net).