MOBA in C# XNA

Started by
5 comments, last by Andrew1P 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone.
I'll get right to it! My goal is to build a DOTA/MOBA style game using XNA in order to play on the XBOX 360. The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a place to start. I do not want it to look almost exactly like Warcraft/Starcraft as League of Legends seems to, but I'd like the style of play to be very similar. Granted I'm having to work out my ideas as to how to take control of the character from the keyboard to the controller but I have some great ideas worked out for that. I've got some of the first key "champs" to be used in the game, along with some unique powers they'll be using, and more than a few maps worked out. The problem I'm encountering is the code.

Does there exist a source code for such a game that I could take a look at to get an idea of where to start? Do you have any tips or suggestions as to a good starting point?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
If you are really having so much problems in starting coding for this project, maybe you should consider starting with a simpler game. Alternatively, you can try to use something like Unity or UDK which simplify some coding tasks and let you concentrate more on the content. Depending on your objectives, these may be better choices.

I don't know any open-source DOTA/MOBA game or tutorial. I would probably try to make a small game prototype showing some basic map and implementing the main gameplay features (basic player control, the creation of the waves of non-player controllable units..). Start from some simpler game and build incrementally.
Take a look at Isles. It is a Warcraft clone written in XNA with full source code available here.
If you decide to investigate using UDK, they have a MOBA tutorial that could be used to start off your prototyping/development:

Unreal MOBA Starter Kit
My code makes a picture of Sephiroth!
Thank you for all your replies!

I tried getting a hold of Isles, which would have been awesome, but loading the source and the game itself game up with errors and I'm having a hard time getting it running.

I've decided in the meantime to try UDK's MOBA kit in order to design a basic outline of the game and get a feel for how to code it from scratch. I think the UDK will hopefully give me enough of an idea to get going so that once I finish with my own MOBA on UDK, I can go ahead and begin my own personal build. The reason I don't want to use UDK altogether is mainly due to licensing, since I want to eventually sell my game for XBox Live.

I was also wondering (and this may not be the correct place to ask this) if a MOBA on Xbox would be able to support purchasing options such as those had on League of Legends wherein you can add money and/or make purchases to buy new champions, runes and "boosts"?

Any additional comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
So, I tried to run UDK with the MOBA kit but it won't let me look at the code and runs very slowly. I'm unsure where to go from here.
UDK doesn't offer code level access; code/engine source access requires an expensive Unreal engine license. If it's running slowly on your machine, you may want to investigate the UDK forums. I would imagine they would be better equipped to help out in that regard.

Best of luck!
My code makes a picture of Sephiroth!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement