Anyone Want to Recommend An Engine?

Started by
3 comments, last by melbow 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello friends,

I am looking for a rendering engine that is popular enough to have third-party extensions or integrated tools for a GUI, physics, and multi-player networking, and good documenation if it's not simple to use.

I'm not looking for a game engine like unreal or unity or something as low level as openGL. I would prefer the language be in C/C++ or Java, but i don't mind as long as it's fast.

Basically what I want to be able to do is make a game engine from a rendering engine as simple and easy as possible (however, it's never easy is it =P). I'm posting this because I know there are a lot of tools out there and do not have time to try everyone, so I am looking for suggestions from people experienced in this kind of software.

I'll check this post regularly, and thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Your listed needs contradict each other.

You say you do not want a game engine -- just a rendering engine -- but that you want features such as physics, networking, etc. Those are features of a game engine -- a rendering engine by definition only does rendering. See for example OGRE, which is a pretty popular rendering engine. You're also asking for something that isn't high level or low level...

That being said, based on the requirements you've listed you might possibly be interested in C4 Engine, Irrlicht (both C++), or jMonkeyEngine (Java).

What about UDK and Unity don't you like? Does your objection also apply to CryEngine?

You might benefit from thinking more carefully about what you actually want and making some decisions on any points where your desires contradict each other.

- Jason Astle-Adams

OGRE3D might accomplish what you need.

If I recall correctly, it's written with a plugin architecture in mind so you could replace or add things as needed.
My code makes a picture of Sephiroth!

You say you do not want a game engine -- just a rendering engine -- but that you want features such as physics, networking, etc. Those are features of a game engine -- a rendering engine by definition only does rendering.

From what I understand, he wants a rendering engine on which he can use/build in third party libraries, not have them integrated already :)

Ogre3D is probably your best choice like others mentioned, has a lot of support and is floating around long enough to have most of the problems you'll encountered answered already.

If you are looking for something that is not as heavy/bloated as Ogre3D, you can check out Horde3D, it's very lightweight and has ok-ish support, though not as big as ogre. It's also still in beta, but as it is also open source, you can just dive in yourself and add/fix as you need should that be an option.
If you are interested in mobile development, I like Marmalade http://madewithmarmalade.com/
It meets most of your criteria.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement