Microsoft Surface RT costs $499

Started by
30 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 5 months ago

I'm viewing this on a transformer. It's only competing if you buy the keyboard dock, which I didn't. And it's a bad competition, because it runs a tablet OS, with tablet software. Much like Windows 8 on the tablet, without the desktop mode.

That's the flipside of my post, where trying to use a tablet like a full computer because clunky and silly^. smile.png

The transformer book has the same form factor with the full version of windows 8. The whole point of windows 8 is that it should work as a tablet os and desktop replacement. They are trying to beat everyone to a market where a tablet can replace your laptop/netbook.
Advertisement

They are trying to beat everyone to a market where a tablet can replace your laptop/netbook.

I'm not sure that market exists.

My iPad is fantastic for browsing the web, watching Netflix, playing games, and reading books. But next time I need to recompile a C++ project encompassing a couple of million lines of code, I would really miss the quad-core i7 in my laptop...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I'm not sure that market exists.

My iPad is fantastic for browsing the web, watching Netflix, playing games, and reading books. But next time I need to recompile a C++ project encompassing a couple of million lines of code, I would really miss the quad-core i7 in my laptop...

Why do you think a tablet can't have those specs?

The specs for the transformer book are up to i7, 4GB of ram, nVidia 630m, 11.6-14 inch screens available, SSD and HDD both available. Iirc there's an HP convertible and the samsung convertible that both also have good specs.

Why do you think a tablet can't have those specs?

Power consumption. With those specs, you would be burning your fingers and the compile would quit half way through its

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

A tablet doesn't even need those specs. It's a consumption device, not a creation device. I'm not sitting and squinting at that tiny screen to work on something.

[size=1]edit:holy shit spelling!

A tablet doesn't even need those specs. It's a consumption device, not a creation device. I'm sitting an squinting at that tiny screen to work on something.

Agreed. If I'm doing any non-trivial work, I'm sitting at my 27", 2560x1440 Shimian.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

So the Surface ( RT version ) is suppose to be a tablet / notebook hybrid. Something u actually could do work on, but only if u were forced too. To that end it needs sufficient power, visual fidelity, application support and full fledge interface ( ie full keyboard + touch support at the OS level ). Unfortunately the Surface fails on 2 of those key points, its low resolution limits its usability ( if u don't believe Microsoft technobabble about lower resolution being better ) and it's lack of legacy application support limits it for bushiness / work use. The PRO version however does address those 2 issues and that is why your going to pay + 300$ more for it..

So the Surface ( RT version ) is suppose to be a tablet / notebook hybrid. Something u actually could do work on, but only if u were forced too. To that end it needs sufficient power, visual fidelity, application support and full fledge interface ( ie full keyboard + touch support at the OS level ).

Not sure I agree. It wouldn't work for most of our needs, but the average enterprise user would get by pretty well with a surface RT. The worry is that software won't be there for those users, but I always viewed Windows RT devices as a supplement to the enterprise environment rather than a replacement for a standard desktop/laptop.

One pretty legitimate use case for the surface RT is for students. It's a pretty rad deal for students. Not super expensive, comes with office apps and looks to have a pretty decent stylus to use one note to the best of it's capabilities. If I were still in university I'd give the surface RT some serious thought. I still don't know why they didn't just include a touch cover with every surface though; that would have been a big selling point imo.

tldr; I would never buy a surface RT, but I could easily see it being useful for someone like my mom at work.
All those people complaining $499 is too expensive for a 10" tablet can now go and buy a $399 Nexus 10. I look forward to lots of stories on how overpriced Apple are (at least MS still have some relevance - for people who want things like Office, the keyboard, better compatibility with other Windows devices, the Surface has no competition).

Also:

Especially with the new iPad Mini and 9" Kindle. Microsoft burns themselves again......[/quote]That would be the ipad mini priced £100 more expensive than the comparable competition (Nexus 7, Kindle HD). If you don't want a 10" tablet, then all of them are too expensive for you - MS, Apple, Samsung, and even Google's new Nexus 10.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

All those people complaining $499 is too expensive for a 10" tablet can now go and buy a $399 Nexus 10. I look forward to lots of stories on how overpriced Apple are (at least MS still have some relevance - for people who want things like Office, the keyboard, better compatibility with other Windows devices, the Surface has no competition).

Only minorly related, but does anyone else think the iPad mini->nexus tablet comparison apple made during it's announcement is hilarious now that the Nexus 10 pretty much destroys the iPad4?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement