Seeking resume advice

Started by
27 comments, last by Ravyne 11 years, 5 months ago
Okay, so I'm considering getting back into the job market and I've determined that my resume could use some attention. The problem is that I am not exactly sure what qualifies for a good resume. I was wondering if any of the community who may be in a position of hiring, or anyone for that matter, could lend me some pointers on how to improve my resume.

My resume
Advertisement
Does this really belong in Breaking Into the Industry? I'm not really trying to get into the games industry.
You want resume advice for what industry, then? What job?

Edit: This is the forum where people get resume advice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am looking for general resume advice -- is it easy to read, am I featuring the right information, are there any glaring mistakes, would someone who is considering resumes consider mine or would it be thrown out due to some factor other than having not enough experience, such as it being incoherent or having poor grammar or something.

Primarily I'm seeking employment in applications development and plan to send my resume to employers seeking senior level application developers. Now, I'm not saying that if a job came along that were in the games industry and I were qualified, and it had good compensation and reasonable work/life balance I wouldn't be interested, but I'm not counting on it and am not going to spend any time seeking those positions.
I think you could do with trimming that down a bit.

You have plenty of software development experience, so why do you still have 'Data Entry' and 'Hardware Technician' on there - let alone a 12 year-old IT certificate?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I think you could do with trimming that down a bit.

You have plenty of software development experience, so why do you still have 'Data Entry' and 'Hardware Technician' on there - let alone a 12 year-old IT certificate?

Good point. So you're saying that because it's not relevant to the jobs I'm applying to, I should just trim it off the resume? Is it a mistaken assumption that one must list all of his former employers on his resume?

Good point. So you're saying that because it's not relevant to the jobs I'm applying to, I should just trim it off the resume? Is it a mistaken assumption that one must list all of his former employers on his resume?

To take an extreme example, a software development company isn't going to care whether or not you flipped burgers for a living during college.

If you were fresh out of college, it might be worth listing that sort of job purely as employment references (i.e. can this person show up at 9am every day, and follow orders?). But given the depth of your development experience, I'd stick to relevant experience in the field.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thanks very much for your help! I've made some changes and I think it looks better already.
No one cares where you went to high school, and of course your references are available upon request. It could also use some formatting.

Here is my resume which I am reasonably happy with. I've remove a few companies to keep it at two pages, and I'll have to do some more shuffling to fit in my latest company.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13579584/TimothyStrimple-20120820.pdf

The skills section gets changes based on who I'm sending the resume to. I emphasize the skills that the company is looking for. At this point my resume is more of a formality anyway. My last four jobs have been through networking.

[quote name='smr' timestamp='1350495593' post='4991190']

To take an extreme example, a software development company isn't going to care whether or not you flipped burgers for a living during college.

[/quote]

That, sir, is purely untrue.
You wouldn't believe the insane amount of people being hired off ties that they may not have foreseen. I understand the need to trim, but seriously, you never know when a cheap-ass job is going to net you an interview. I've seen buger-flippers net an interview based on the fact they had survived that hell for 3 straight years alone. Other applicants with surpassing amounts of years in the industry were not even contacted... attitude counts, and an educated guess can go through looking at what you did before.

That said, yes, you need some trimming...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement