.x files with built-in textures

Started by
5 comments, last by tom76 22 years, 6 months ago
Ok I''m looking at the donuts3D game to see how it all works, and looking to change certain aspects. I''m puzzled by the terrain. I made my own terrain and loaded it up, and everything was pitch black. No problem I thought, just no textures. SO I just made two more terrains, with textures, and saved as an .x file. I load them up, and what do I get? Something that roughly looks like my designs but the textures have gone (all I have now is grey) and the objects in the game go down beneath the floor in certain areas. Why didn''t the textures load? Why does it not look exactly like my designs? Can anyone help? Observe everything, remember more!
if (witisism == !witty) return to_hole
Advertisement
Hey.
I had the same problem a couple of days ago. First of all the terrain x model in the sdk in the media folder has a terrain.bmp with it. Make sure all your code is right unless your using donuts3D. Second for the terrain models you made, make ure they have texture coords from your modeller. When I didn''t have texture coords the textured load but not on my model and it was grey. I guess that is the default. Will I hope this helps.
Addicted Technolagy Raven Engine - Join Us :)
ok that''s good info spindle. When you say texture co-ordinates, I''m using milkshape - any idea how I get to co-ords?
ALSO when I have them, how do I implement them?

Thanks,
Daniel

Observe everything, remember more!
Don''t forget to include the texture in the same directory than your project because when you save it into the .x file, it only save the name of the bitmap but not the path (EX: it wouldn''t save it as C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\image.bmp, it will only be image.bmp).
François DagenaisDagenais.f@videotron.ca
ok I''ve got my terrain and texture into Donuts3D, but my ship is on an invisible ''hill'' with the donuts, and we all keep going up and down through the terrain. Why is this?

If you want, upload your project on the net or e-mail me at dagenais.f@videotron.ca and I will try to figure out what''s the problem because it''s hard to help without any code.
François DagenaisDagenais.f@videotron.ca
ok I got it sorted, the HeightField function determines the Y axis, so I made the return value 0.

Thanks!
Daniel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement