Simple game

Started by
10 comments, last by Attronis 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello gamedev community !

I just want to ask if someone knows a simple 2D(3D too complicate ,right?) game and free source in Java where i can make mods for it.
Because it is preatty hard for me to concep all the mechanics are made in a game so i want to learn in this way how the things are going on.
If you know a better way say it smile.png thanks for reading !
Advertisement
Everyone starts with pong... Just do that. Trust me, there's really no magic going on behind the scenes here. Rarely are there bits of arcane knowledge to be gained by looking at others' code for simple stuff. You'll learn a lot more by doing yourself than you will by watching someone else do.
Thanks you for the replay but i think i need to move to the next level smile.png
Then do something more complicated than pong, the general advice still stands. The amount of material I've picked up through writing code far outweighs the amount gained by reading it...
Here's what I would do:

1. Pong
  2. Breakout
  3. Space Invaders (credit to GearSlayer360)
  4. Missile Command
  5. Asteroids
  6. Tetris
  7. Pac-Man
  8. Tic-Tac-Toe (credit to 3Ddreamer)
  9. ????
  10. Make Money

smile.png

Most importantly, those mechanics are known well-enough that you should be able to code those from scratch. You should not be looking for code for those games ... to mod.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Thanks you guys for all the replays!
You could also do space invaders. That seems to be popular and there's plenty of help online if you get stuck.

Everyone starts with pong... Just do that. Trust me, there's really no magic going on behind the scenes here. Rarely are there bits of arcane knowledge to be gained by looking at others' code for simple stuff. You'll learn a lot more by doing yourself than you will by watching someone else do.

I started with fully 3D side scrolling plane shooter game in C++ with openGL (something like Einhander). I did it from scratch and it even got couple of shaders there :)
I know how stupid it may sound... It wasn't my idea though :D (I had to do it).

I agree with person above, the real very first game I did was something like space invaders, It got basic logic so I also suggest you to try that :)
Pong is a great starting point. It is very straight forward and no real surprises. Just basic movement and collision detection. Space Invaders seems like a logical progression, but as Alpha mentioned, any of those games would be a great place to go as well.

You could also do space invaders. That seems to be popular and there's plenty of help online if you get stuck.

True. That's probably a game one should do right after Breakout. They are similar in some respects.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement