Logo feedback - Ninja Cat and Zombie Dinosaurs

Started by
18 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 11 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, I'm making a flash game for internet (2d, not the typical casual), and here is first logo project in three versions, which differ mainly in font use.

I'd love to get your feedback on the general quality of logo, as well as which font combination looks best to you. Thanks!

Arial:
ninja-cat-logo1.jpg

Lithos:
ninja-cat-logo2.jpg

Hobo:
ninja-cat-logo3.jpg

PS as for the game, you are ninja cat, who's fighting with zombie dinosaurs ;) in a way similiar to (spoiler alert) Typing of the Dead.
Advertisement
I would ditch the sword. It clashes heaviliy, and it's poorly cropped.
Hehe, thanks for fast reply, and because I still have PS opened...

ninja-cat-logo4.jpg

I agree that katana doesn't look like the rest of logo, it's different. Without it, for me, logo looks rather montonous (obviously now I could differ colors and texture of text). Also katana visually showed the ninja part of the game, just as claw footsteps are showing cat and dino.
It only looks monotonous because you used someone's font instead of drawing your own logo up. Arial is for writing up documents, not making ninja cat game logos. So you don't have a logo, you have 2 lines of plain text.

Give Ninja Cat his own logo, with a drawn image, then put a vs Zombie Dinosaurs in it's own stylized glyph.
You can try to add some color gradient, you know the industry standard (orange-blue). Make the ZDs more like red, maybe some blood on the dino claw and add dark night blue to the ninja cats, maybe adding a ninja mask on a letter. And change the "and" to "vs" to hint a conflict ?
Arial is very similiar to Helvetica, which is used to create logos all around the world. I'm not sure Daaark what you mean by "give ninja his own logo, with drawn image". More stylized fonts are explored in the third version (with a sword). I don't really have time to play with hand created caligraphy, as a sole programmer, designer, artist and businessman on this project, I'm going with shortcuts in many areas, that's why I want to use existing font. I like the shape of letters from above images, and their not plain thanks to bazillion of effects smile.png it's just the same color scheme used all around without any accents makes it dull and boring (hence katana was born).

Thanks Ashaman, I'll try with "industry standard colors" biggrin.png and differentiate with color. "And to vs" - I was thinking about that for some time, I think "and" is more open to interpretation and brings more curiosity (ninja cat and zombie dinosaurs - what they're gonna do, play doctor?), while "vs" is clearly conflict.

Any other comments, ideas and suggestions? Oh, and to clear things up: I'm not going for *perfect* logo, which makes everyone drool. I just need a good enough one.
I'm not sure Daaark what you mean by "give ninja his own logo, with drawn image[/quote] I mean kill off the arial, and use the vector drawing tools to draw up a nice, proper, logo.
I think what Daaark is saying is a game logo is not going to be good with just a text layer. You need to manually DRAW the text to give it more style. Make a logo focusing solely on Ninja Cat, then it's safe to add "VS. Zombie Dinosaurs" as a subtitle. I suggest a cat in the background, also manually drawn. Maybe with a sword splitting a letter in half? It all boils down to originality. Give it your own touch. Don't use pre-made graphics, not even fonts. Not unless it fits perfectly, and you have the creator's permission.
Regarding your three fonts, I think "Lithos" looks the best here. Though I don't like the font... but I know what look you are aiming for.

But anyway. I had a few minutes and made some doodles. (Which are obviously in a komplete different style, but I didn't want to put them into my trash can either.)

[attachment=11833:ninjacat.png]
Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback you gave! Doodles :)

Thanks to your ideas, I created this:

ninja-cat-logo5.png

Which IMHO looks much better then the first ones. I didn't go with the custom "fonts" yet, first wanted to nail the colors, but I think I'll do sth with ninja font only, zombie for me looks good enough. Also, I will make the blood splash more realistic by using smaller droplets and more color variations, currently I have resolution dependence due to outline filter.

I'm waiting for your comments smile.png

PS lesson learned: disable Flux while designing, only now I see how washed away it was.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement