Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedRocket

Tool Development.

RedRocket    122
Many of the projects that I observe build full-fledged GUI tools to insert their game data, build levels, parse scripts etc... Is this worth it? In my project, I tend to throw together simple command-line utilities to accomplish those ends. It''s a little disorganized, but they do seem to get the job done. Are there any other advantages to creating full-blown tools?

krez    443
creating tools just makes it easier to do those things... for example, if you decide you want someone else to help out with your level design, you can just give them the tool for level design. for complex things, it could be a great help to you as well...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Colin Jeanne    1114
Some games (like Tribes and Subspace) have things like map editors built into the game. This saves you some time because you have already created the rendering loop and now you need to build minimal tools and object placement routines, plus it is easier for the user to use one program to play an create (IMHO)

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

masonium    118
Level editors and such do make things easier development wise, but they don''t have to be full-fledged GUI wonders. My level editor works fine with just the keyboard and a cursor. You''re better off just editing your game engine to write level files or something like that