Sega console programming(homebrew?).

Started by
15 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 5 months ago
I recently saw the most amazing thing on Classic Game Room(YouTube channel) which was a new DreamCast game called Gunlord and it looks amazing.

So having finished my Degree this week and a basic Java Ray-casting demo, I'm kind of heart-set on a bit of retro-console programming as my next project. Most likely not a full game, but at least a demo or two. One concern I do have - I don't want to have to physically or software-wise modifiy a console to run my demos.

There seems to be two possible target platforms: The DreamCast(wow, I really want one of those in my collection!) or....the sega Mega-CD. Both seem to only require a user to burn a demo/game to a CD and then just pop it in the console as it is. I think the Mega-CD is going to be difficult, but the DreamCast appears to require a knowledge of C which I'm quite happy to use...

I used to program in C/C++, moved on to Java and Visual Basic for my education and even dipped my toe in C64 assembly(still a beginner, though). I would very much like to have someone's opinion on this (foolish?) ambition that has actually done some console homebrewing - and educate me as to the harsh realities one will face, and if there is an ideal console to homebrew for.

Many thanks.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement
Doing homebrew programming is on the limit of legality depending on the country you live in. To play a burned CD-R on a DreamCast, you either need to install a modchip, or use a boot cd, again barely legal. You can also try to find a few emulators, that might be easier for development and tests. For the technical programming aspect, since you don't have access to the official Sega SDK, I suggest you ask this question on other forums dedicated to emulation and homebrew, there are a few nice ones out there.
Thanks for the reply, Dunge. Didn't think about the legality of Homebrew, but I shall certainly look into it.

I didn't know one could use a boot cd for the DreamCast, although I do wonder if Gunlord uses one. For a small team I doubt they have paid a licence to Sega to run the Game without such a disk...if barely legal.

Oh well, its food thought. Cheers.

I would very much like to have someone's opinion on this (foolish?) ambition that has actually done some console homebrewing - and educate me as to the harsh realities one will face, and if there is an ideal console to homebrew for.

It comes down to WHY you are doing it.

If you have some passion to develop on some old machine, maybe an old Atari 2600, or an old Vectrex, or an old DreamCast, then follow it if you want to. Just understand that VERY few people will understand what you have done and why you have done it.

Occasionally a few collectors will take an interest in homebrew ROM images for old machines. There are very few of them, but they do exist.

Check the forum FAQ for some DreamCast links if that is your interest. They're at the bottom, about to drop off the page.
[...]although I do wonder if Gunlord uses one. For a small team I doubt they have paid a licence to Sega[...]

Well, from what I can see they have released the game on the retail market so yes they probably did. They have registered domain names for both the game and the developers and created two other games, so it's more serious than a basement project. If that's the way you want to do it, fine, go ahead and contact Sega, ask to become a licensed developer and you will get a devkit with the libraries needed and the documentation with it. It won't be free though, if still available. Otherwise, stick to the underground homebrew scene and you will find many people still playing with it and eager to help you.
You're much better off programming for iOS or Android at the moment.

If you are going to put in all that effort to make a nice game, you might as well have an audience of more than six. You'll have nothing to show for it at the end.
I thought someone may have mentioned it already, but not only can you do homebrew for Sega (in the US, at least), but you can also sell your titles. Check out the newly released Sega title Pier Solar (
). If you're masochistic enough to do it, go for it!
---------------------------Visit my Blog at http://robwalkerdme.blogspot.com
My aim at this point is non-commercial, so at best I would only intend to share demos with the retro community. It is merely out of interest and the "cool" factor.

The Android/iOS is something...I just can't stand things like the iPad. I actually sell them at work, but apart from launching a red bird from a catapult...I don't get much buzz from using them.

Yes, I have indeed seen Pier Solar! The packaging alone is gorgeous, and the game itself is simply amazing - a 64MB Megadrive game is like...I dunno, its the "Chuck Norris" of Megadrive carts! I also think its cool how it also comes with a MegaCD cd to enhance the game if you happen to also own a MegaCD...o_O

But anyway, thanks for all the input. I forgot how friendly and helpful GameDev was. To have replies so soon is great.

Cheers!

Dreamcast is going to be a lot easier than Mega CD... The latter is like programming two consoles at the same time, and no, you can't get away with only programming half of it because the program boots in the half that doesn't have access to the I/O hardware =/

Doing homebrew programming is on the limit of legality depending on the country you live in. To play a burned CD-R on a DreamCast, you either need to install a modchip, or use a boot cd, again barely legal.

Or use a MilCD enabled Dreamcast, which can boot CDs just fine without any special requirements... (well, the boot program has its bytes shuffled and an audio track has to come first, but that's it from what I know, no need to use specific software or custom signatures or anything like that)
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Its good of you to take time to visit my thread, Sik. Your Megadrive work is impressive.

The MilCD sounds brilliant, but apparently they are very hard to obtain. Sega caught on to its weakness early on and stopped producing them. Still, the DreamCast is quite appealing with its CD(compatible) format and even a VGA connection. And that controller is simply champion! ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement