How epic is super mario 64?

Started by
13 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 5 months ago
Many have considered it the best but I really want to know what really made the game the best? How was nintendo able to do it? I've played it and I really love it but I don't know why I love it so much...
Advertisement
[EDIT]
Oh, Super Mario 64. Not Mario Kart 64. Took me 2 days to realize that.
[/EDIT]

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Because, at the time:

• Fully immersive in its 3D environment.
  • Easy to learn control schemes.
  • Plenty of entertaining glitches, just like Pokemon.
  • Rules are pretty simple (Just 1 rule)
  • Instant loading.
  • Unlimited tries.
What about the camera? Many believe that the camera played the important part in the game? How is that? And how did they do such a thing???
Search anything about a third person camera. Many people actually find it annoying when you want to view up-close something in Super Mario 64.
How is viewing up close that annoying? It first of all allows the player to see things clearly than seeing it in third person view. You can even adjust the camera in that game so what is wrong with the game's camera? isn't it revolutionary?
Do you want the entire Mario's body blocking the center portion of your field of view? Have you ever pressed C ^ and try to view the scenery? You can look both sides of Mario's body (left or right part of the screen), but never what's in front of Mario. The head's in the way.
Why are you complaining about the center? if at all you can't see the center, you could always jump or crouch to see it.

I still don't understand why you guys feel the camera system is frustrating? Wasn't the camera responsible to explain the reason why the game was made?
No, it's not just the camera itself. Here's a few links:

Here's another player's opinion on the game.
It's mentioned as "boring".
A better article about the camera itself.

Not to break your hopes, but the game is an industry changer. The game is fun for us to play, but to be honest, the game isn't that spectacular

nowadays. The basic principles are there still, so you can continue to dig around on Google about Super Mario 64 and such and be amazed by the many things I have listed in post 3.

Guess you got a point. But still wouldn't it be great if games like this could give exploring experiences?

I really love the game's exploring path. The fact that more stars can be found in that same place. Simply amazing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement