Why did Konami made castlevania?

Started by
15 comments, last by DavidGArce1337 11 years, 5 months ago
Is this topic Game VS Book ?

I actually played the original Castlevania when it was new. It was a hard game, but a very fun one at that. "New Age" games to me do not feel as rewarding ... probably the fact many games are made way too easy, and there is little penalty for dieing.

Is the game like the book ( which book??? ) such as Dracula by Bram Stoker ?
200px-Dracula1st.jpeg

No. The game play is nothing like the book ... Actually there were many stories Bram wrote - HERE is a link if you want to read up on his stuff.

The game it's self, is nothing more than a challenging platforming game.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement
I think calling Castlevania similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula, is like saying Twilight similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I think calling Castlevania similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula, is like saying Twilight similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I think you just gravely insulted Castlevania.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Also, the guy has a whip. Now, there were attempts to make Indiana Jones as a video game, but rarely did it work. Castlevania, for some reason, actually got the whip right... It's a whip! You whip things with a whip! Because it's a whip!
I only like the Symphony of the Night style games, but the series is great when something tragic or "meant to be" happens at the end.

Like, in Castlevania legends, the bit where Alucard is like "Sonia, I love you blablabla...but now I must sleep for 100 years...", and that is quite a hard fact swallow, because when Alucard wakes up after that 100 years passes, Sonia will be long gone...and he'll still be a youthful looking vampire, cursed to live forever etc. He can't be with his true love, and all that lovely-duvey stuff...

The series is at its worst when it requires 300% accuracy and timing. God, I feel like throwing the game out the window...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1350858795' post='4992604']

I think you just gravely insulted Castlevania.
[/quote]
I didn't compare Castlevania to Twilight. I'm pointing out that Castlevania is very-remotely related to Bram Stoker's Dracula (which presumably is the origin of the popular vampire lore). Comparing them is like saying Twilight was the sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula -- which is far from it.
I have to pitch in, in an offtopic way, sorry(!), to say how important was Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest to me. I know English because of it.
I was stuck in the game, right before that part where you could ride a twister to another place, I didn't know what to do. So it pushed me to learn the language.
Thanks to my dad translating every now and then, and TV with subtitles I picked up the language quickly and beat the game and all the rest that needed reading to accomplish.

It was not my first game, but it unlike Mega Man or Mario, I needed to read to know more about it and what to do.

The game was great because it had monsters, different weapons, day and night system with different monsters and changes, it had "secret areas", and like puzzles and things that made it different than other games. It took quite awhile to beat and the music, it was nice!
I was maybe 6-7 years old when I remember playing it. To give you an idea of the mindset I had.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement