Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pr0teus

Should I buy "Black Art"?

I was wondering if I should buy LaMothe''s "Black Art of 3D Game Programming" I''ve heard that it is old, out dated, etc. but also that it is essential to creating software engines. Also, that book is based around 16bit DOS. I will be using Windows and Dx. What I''m particularly interested in is OOP style 3D engines. Is this book worth it? If not, which others would be recommended? Also, I''m not necessairly a beginner when it comes to 3D programming, OOP, games, graphics, etc., I''ve just never done a software engine before, and decided it was about time I did. Thanks, Ben

Do not buy that book; especially not if you are into Windows and DirectX.
I would recommend to use OpenGL *grin* but since DirectX seemes to be your weapon of choise then check out NeXe and the Inside DirectX books and Cutting The Edge With DirectX 8.0. I havent read those but I heard they were good.
For making an engine there is a excellent tutorial on the basic concepts at flipcode.com
If you change your mind decide to go the OpenGL way, buy OpenGL Game Programming, which does not only cover OpenGL but also 3d theory and math, and you are also creating a small engine in the end of the book.

Hey,

Well, the idea is I''ve already done some stuff with OpenGL, and can usually get it to do what I want. I just want to really know what and how 3D works, by getting down into it with software instead of some API. DirectX is just a way to get stuff on the screen. I''m not using D3D, nor do I plan to. As far as Black Art goes, I was figuring I already had the Mode13h (probably) stuff he uses in the book down with my DirectDraw wrapper, and could just concentrate on the 3D parts. I will look into the Flipcode article though.

Ben

I have the Black Art of 3D Game Programming and even though the code is old, the theory in the book is outdated, and it will never be. For people who just start programming and choose VC++ and DirectX/OpenGL, I'm pretty sure LaMothe's book won't be needed, but if you would like to know how ALL 3D engines are constructed, and to write your own software engine then that book is a MUST read. That's just my opinion, because I like the book. The theory and ideas you are gonna get outta this book is worth the money. I got mine for 12 bucks second hand, but if I would've paid 50-60 bucks for it when it first came out because you'll gain a lot of experience. Once you learn the theory and how the 3D engines are build and the math behind it, you'll have a lot easier time in writing a 3D program, than someone who went straight to VC++ and a 3D Engine, and they don't know what the hell is going on, even though they think they know.

EDIT: One more thing, if you are looking for C++ code and OOP you won't find it in that book. But if you have a good grasp of C++ and OOP I don't think you will have any problems converting his code to C++, or even writing your own from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - Gladiator on October 14, 2001 4:30:39 PM