• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

2D RPG Example Games

This topic is 1917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

Does anyone know of any 2D RPG games that are free or open sourced?

I'm looking for examples of how other games of this genre handle various tasks and organization.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Hero of Allacrost. smile.png

You could also look at FIFE Engine, and potentially investigate if any of the game projects based on it have source available.

Also, this one's a strategy game rather than an RPG, but Battle for Wesnoth might be worth a look as many of the features -- such as the map drawing -- are potentially similar to those needed for a 2d RPG.

Remember to take anything you see with a grain of salt though -- you're looking at the final resulting code, but you almost certainly won't have access to the logic behind the choice of that particular implementation -- you won't know whether a particular technique was chosen because it is the best idea, because it suits some special and unusual need of the particular project, because it used to be a good choice for reasons that no longer apply, or even simply because the developer was ignorant of better options.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck! smile.png

an example, not a rpg game but helpful

http://www.allegro.cc/depot/DiabloIIMapEditor/

Check my homepage . I developed a 2d RPG Engine (inspired by JRPEGS of the SNES area) incl. level editor and small dialog editor + turn based combat system (random encounter). You can find the source on my blog. (link is in signature) Edited by FlyingDutchman

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement