• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King of the Boneheads

[Allegro 5] Game Crash

18 posts in this topic

http://codepad.org/aG4zacD3

My issue is that every time I compile & run it, It waits a couple seconds then crashes. Like, stops responding.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Your error code states "Line 29: error: allegro5/allegro.h: No such file or directory", are you sure that you're using the right path for allegro.h ?

I noticed errors in your code:

[CODE]if(!al_init()) {
fprintf(stderr, "failed to initialize allegro!\n");
return -1;
}[/CODE]

All you're doing is checking if al_init() returns false... Yet you never called al_init().

You need to call the following right before the check to see if they return false.

al_init();
al_install_keyboard();

ect....

I have to disagree with the error you pointed out. I use conditional checks like that in my code and I have never had an issue. With his code it becomes somewhat condensed by calling the method and checking it's false. If it is false it exits the program, if it's true it continues on.

al_init() is called in this usage, it just saves an additional line by calling it in one if statement, than calling it, and then checking 3-7 lines later.

In response to the original question, it sounds most likely what Black-Rook suggested, that you may not have linked the libraries correctly to your project. Which IDE are you using?

Regards,

Stitchs.

Oops, was 3am while writing! Guess I wasn't fully thinking there. Yes he is right, it goes through the function on the check while performing the inialization, then returns true or false.

Sorry about that!

Have you made a project in CodeBlocks using Allegro 5 before? I just wonder if you have your linkers have been properly set.

First things first, yes, in fact this .cpp file is IN a Code::Blocks project file, linked to all allegro things necessary. I have followed that Allegro 5 tutorial, and it's not the projects fault (I think).

So I set some breakpoints (well, I printed at various points in code)

And tracked it down to which line it crashes on, and:

http://codepad.org/kOFCWkA5

It seems to crash at line 59. "al_set_target_bitmap(al_get_backbuffer(display));"

I really need someone who's advanced to help me out, because the answer is not exactly obvious as to why it crashed.

I'm in class, so I can't exactly check, but off the top of my head:

Add these two lines:

[CODE]#include <allegro5/image.h>[/CODE]

and somewhere before you create the bitmap

[CODE]al_init_image_addon();[/CODE]

[url="http://alleg.sourceforge.net/a5docs/5.0.7/image.html"]http://alleg.sourcef....0.7/image.html[/url]

it exists. Maybe you're not linking right. Hmm

EDIT:

I'm sorry

#include <allegro5/allegro_image.h>

all better? Edited by Shaquil

Assign the return value of al_get_backbuffer and make sure it's valid. Probably it's returning null? I don't know allegro but did you initialize it with the option of using the backbuffer?

Change line 41 to:

if(display == NULL) {

The manual says that al_create_display returns NULL, so don't assume it's Boolean value.

After I changed line 41 (49 in the code w/Breakpoints&and the new #include by shaquil) to that, the program got compiled & ran just fine, but it still crashed at line 59. (73 in my code)

[quote name='Mike_Stoddart' timestamp='1351118565' post='4993582']
Change line 41 to:

if(display == NULL) {

The manual says that al_create_display returns NULL, so don't assume it's Boolean value.
[/quote]

That's a waste of time. if(!display) and if(display == NULL) are the same exact thing.

Also, remove my suggestion of the image addon stuff. I was wrong. I've run your code in Visual Studio 2012 Professional. It worked. I've attached a screenshot in dual-screen mode. I have no idea how to make allegro work with codeblocks, so I can't help you with figuring out what possible linkage problems might be occuring.

that code says there's something wrong on line 11. Could that be it? I hope you figure this out. I'm honestly perplexed. It seems like something going on under the API itself. Or maybe you've downloaded a version of allegro that isn't compatible with whatever compiler code::blocks uses. Try allegro.cc, the users on that forum are active and knowledgable. It seems very few people here honestly use allegro.

[quote name='Shaquil' timestamp='1351128486' post='4993618']
that code says there's something wrong on line 11. Could that be it?
[/quote]
Highly doubtful, considering that codepad is trying to compile the cbp file as C++ code.

I also second allegro.cc for some help.