• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lacsap

Passing data between variables

This topic is 6093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem. I''m writing a program that allows you to sort 10 names that you''ve entered, and as a sorting algorythm I use bubblesort. But now I also need to swap data from 1 position to another, but I keep getting all these errors. Could someone help me ? it is as following: char n[10][255] is a global variable to store the names in. in the swap function, I have the following: char *tmp_n = &n[n1]; n[n1] = n[n2]; n[n2] = tmp_n; tmp_n is the temporary var. n1 and n2 are the numbers of wich items are about to be swapped: For example: If you want to swap n[5] and n[6], the syntax for the swap_items function is as following: swap_items(5,6). When I compile I get the following output: (I use MSVC++ 6.0) --------Configuration: SortTest - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... main.cpp E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(49) : error C2440: ''initializing'' : cannot convert from ''char (*)[255]'' to ''char *'' Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(51) : error C2106: ''='' : left operand must be l-value E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(52) : error C2440: ''='' : cannot convert from ''char *'' to ''char [255]'' There are no conversions to array types, although there are conversions to references or pointers to arrays Error executing cl.exe. SortTest.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s) CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS ????? pascal

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by lacsap
E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(49) : error C2440: ''initializing'' : cannot convert from ''char (*)[255]'' to ''char *''
Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast

The compiler suggests type casting:

char *tmp_n = (char *)n[n1];

(char *)n[n1] = (char *)n[n2];
(char *)n[n2] = tmp_n;

The type casts force the compiler to evaluate the expressions ''n[n1]'' and ''n[n2]'' as pointers to regions of memory rather than fixed length arays. This works because n[0] is a memory location (the ''0'' is also the offset from n).

I''ve used :

char *tmp_n = (char *)n[n1];
(char *)n[n1] = (char *)n[n2];
(char *)n[n2] = tmp_n;

but now I''ll get the compiler errors:

--------Configuration: SortTest - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
main.cpp
E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(57) : error C2106: ''='' : left operand must be l-value
E:\School\SortTest\main.cpp(58) : error C2106: ''='' : left operand must be l-value
Error executing cl.exe.

SortTest.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

(I forgot: line 57 and 58 are the last two lines of code in the above( (char *)n[nr1] = (char *)n[nr2]; and (char *)n[nr2] = tmp_n; )

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you must copy whole strings from one place to another but not pointers. Try this:

char n[10][255];

void swap_items(int n1, int n2)
{
char tmp_n[255];
strcpy(tmp_n, n[n1]);
strcpy(n[n1], n[n2]);
strcpy(n[n2], tmp_n);
}

Since you declare the name array with a fixed length (statically allocated), you can''t change the ''pointers'' in the array (because statically allocated 2-dimensional arrays aren''t implemented with pointers in C, only dynamically allocated arrays are).

Declare n as an array of char pointers and allocate the memory for the name-strings dynamically. Then do as silvren suggested.

e.g. you can do it like this:

// declare the name-array

const int NUMBER_OF_NAMES = 10;
char * n[NUMBER_OF_NAMES];

// allocate memory for the 10 names

for (int i = 0; i < NUMBER_OF_NAMES; ++i)
n[i] = new char[256];

// use the names here...

// to swap two names with index n1 and n2 do:

char *tmp_n = n[n1];
n[n1] = n[n2];
n[n2] = tmp_n;

// deallocate the names

for (int i = 0; i < NUMBER_OF_NAMES; ++i)
delete [] n[i];

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!