Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making_of_Sage

A couple of beginners wanna get together?

Hello.
Making_of_Sage : the quwstion posted by anon. is in fact very important.
If , by "support group" you mean the general thing : some programers geting togeder, maybe to code on a game or just to exchange ideeas about game programers ..... well it will be very dificult if you are saing that you are a beginer.... and 10-15 newbes and no "master programer " with huge free time to spend techeing ( utopic isn''t it )....
But what the hell , I what to participate.
You could send me an email if you are interesed

MAD_Mask

Count me in, I am totaly new to game programming, currently learning C++, I must admit it''s the best language I''ve seen so far

email: 2cool4-u@planetunreal.com or jeroen@dehaas.dhs.org

I''ll be on holidays for the next 5 days, I''ll reply to any emails when I come back or when I find a decent internet cafe

Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas
- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder
- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester

ok count me in im 16 and at college doing a btec national in computing software development, but i have beeen programing for years, anything can be done in visual basic i rule but whern it comes to c++ thats where i stop now for wa while i have been looking to get togethere wth a groupe of movivated ppl to make a game. We will need the following:
Sound
3D models\Animation\Maps
Programmers
Graphix

Im putting my self up for programming, i can use poser 4, but not 3d studios max, i have a few other talents like i made the screen go red on a game boy advance, and no i dint just hit it hard it was a program.
any one who join should have a strong aim to make a game and become a devloper, and we will need a strong motivation no lets just help each other stuff and ocasional post on a msg board we need ideas, storys and other thing and the group could eventualy get something published.
I have many ideas but i will tell you them later what i will say is that to start off with we need to use someone elses game engine becuse one we amke will take a long time and i have many ideas on that subject as well
email me at blackpenny15@hotmail.com to talk indepth

sure!! ill join in! aim name = hellian82

im pretty much completely new to c++. im not totally lacking in programming experience however, i used to be pretty good with Vb!

oh, and my email is hellian84@hotmail.com

also, im fairly proficient in 3dsmax, cinema 4d, and a bunch of other 2d/3d apps

Edited by - ntrent1 on October 15, 2001 3:16:17 PM

O.K. so ,we are in BUT what''s next?
I must agree with Tracer : we need a little bit of organisation and a LOT of MOTIVATION.
Also , we can not comunicate by GameDev forum all the time .If we want something to get going we''ll have to find other means of comunicating.
And also we must to have a very clear scope, becouse
"a small group of people who program together and learn from each other. Not really looking to make a game just want to solidify and polish each others programming skills. " isn''t to specific.

Well , I am still doubtful that this thing will get started ..but ..... let''s try , no?
I''m curently working on a sound class for another group I am in but I am only at the begining and I have relative litle spear time for programing....
MAD_Mask

I like to encourage this programming group idea.
I have started one group on it''s way, and they seem
to be well off on their way to programming a game.

But maybe some stats are due to put things into perspective.

The last group thread started off with 19 programmers
interested in starting a group. There where two groups that started out, but one folded due lack of programmers.

So of that, only one group remained, and in that group, 6 programmers remained. But the group did get established and is well on it''s way.

So of that original 19, only 6 actually continued on. That''s a drop out rate of over 66%.

Why did the one group continue ?
It was the determination of the group leader to keep lines of communication open on both an ezboard forum and E-MAIL.
The group leader has to have enough programming experience, and communication skills to make the venture successful.

I just served as the catalyst for the group to get it started, and from learning about their programming experience I was able to pick a good leader.

Another setback was the differing of programming backgrounds. The group has to have enough in common to program a project successfully. Also, in my opinion, too large a group will make it almost impossible to have a successful venture. But if you can successfully start just one group from this thread, that''s a good thing.

Guy

Count me in.
I know somewhat about C++(arrays, pointers, just learned classes), but I''m still fresh.
I know the littlest there is to know about Windows programming, haven''t even touched DirectX, but I know more than most beginners.

GuyJohnston wrote:
Why did the one group continue ?
It was the determination of the group leader to keep lines of communication open on both an ezboard forum and E-MAIL.
The group leader has to have enough programming experience, and communication skills to make the venture successful.

He is 100% right. Someone must keep this organized.
If we all do it right in cooperating, we can actually do something out of this.
All we need is patience.
We must elect a leader, and I''ll be more than happy to conduct that.
But we of course have to vote on that.

So far this is what we got...

IRDumb rick__33@hotmail.com
brandon6684 bradnon6684@hotmail.com
MAD_Mask mad7@gmx.net
ntrent1 hellian84@hotmail.com
tracer blackpenny15@hotmail.com
CruxMihiAncora jolson88@yahoo.com
Load Runner LoadRunner@forpresident.com
2COOL4-U 2cool4-u@planetunreal.com
da_cobra s_noppe@hotmail.com
Ace ace_muncher@yahoo.com

With the exception of the one guy who thought of this, Making_of_Sage, because I don't have access to his e-mail.
That is a total of
people, which is a good start.

-Ace

Edited by - ace_muncher on October 15, 2001 12:04:52 AM

Hello. This sounds interesting to me. I just started to learn c++ again because I took one of those introductory courses back in High School. I don''t remember much though but now I''m here at Full Sail. I''m currently reading teach yourself c++ in 21 days. I''d like to join with everyone also. my email is dkgamez1@hotmail.com

DK

O.K , I am willing to start.
How is the group leader and what will be the imeadiate scope ?
And we should get those emails going betwen us.
And my curent address is themask21@hotmail.com ( sorry for the mad7@gmx.net , I forot to update my member status at GameDev )

Guest Anonymous Poster
Starting a support group is a great idea for beginners like myself who have been struggling with the programming aspect of game development.

Trying to learn by oneself, though commedable for the courage it demands, is a route that leads directly to difficulty. Far better to learn together.

Email: aahfong@hotmail.com