• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sugavanas

Create a Game Engine

This topic is 2073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, I want to create a game engine and i am confused with things. Can anyone say the things i need to know please..

Advertisement
Creating a game engine is really hard task. Especially for someone that hasn't got enough experience. I wated around 1 year before I start my engine(after this idea first came into my mind). During this time I read all books which had the keywords "engine" and "programming" in their titles(If I could find them in PDF, i would really like to buy some of them however not everyone has money).
And I can say, it would be better if I had waited a little more.
The result was: 5 months working on engine. And then give up, and start it from the very beginning. WHY? Well, books don't tell how you should struct your code. They can just show the way. I also coun't make a plan for my project. I mean I couln't plan my features. This two mistakes bring me down. However I do not regret, I learned how to plan my future projects and how to make my code right with minimal effort.(under struct I meant const correctness, design, naming, etc.)
If you are going to start it now... well, happy debugging. The choise is yours.

Hello guys, I want to create a game engine and i am confused with things. Can anyone say the things i need to know please..

The things you need to know are:
- a programming language
- a graphics library
- a sound library
- a library for mouse/keyboard/gamepad input
- at least three game designs that could be implemented by the game engine, preferably as different from each other as possible (within the scope of the engine).

I want to know the language i need to learn and also the graphic thing. I need to know the sections i need to learn in the specific language and also in the graphics library. I need a clear answer for this.The game which is created by my game engine should work in pc, mac, ps3, xbox.

And guys i did not post anything because i am not started yet. I need some guide in it. For now i am learning so it would be more easier for me to learn if i know what to learnsmile.png

Forgot to mention a thing, I don't care spending so if you know some pdf books selling online say the link i would like to buy it, it is worthy in the future

I want to know the language i need to learn

Most languages will do, if you know what you're doing.

and also the graphic thing. I need to know the sections i need to learn in the specific language and also in the graphics library. I need a clear answer for this.[/quote]
You will need a good grasp on everything that's important. What that is, only experience can tell you.

The game which is created by my game engine should work in pc, mac, ps3, xbox.[/quote]
Your engine doesn't create games, you create games. ;)
Try Unity, that's a popular cross-platform engine.

And guys i did not post anything because i am not started yet. I need some guide in it. For now i am learning so it would be more easier for me to learn if i know what to learnsmile.png[/quote]
Learn to make a game, using an existing engine. Then you can make a "game engine", because you know how to use one.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!