Create a Game Engine

Started by
46 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 5 months ago
Ya, i have unity 3.5 pro, i am using it. I also use cryengine 3 and unreal engine 3. Now i want to create my own because then i can make my game more easily.
Advertisement

Ya, i have unity 3.5 pro, i am using it. I also use cryengine 3 and unreal engine 3. Now i want to create my own because then i can make my game more easily.

Why do you think it'd be more easy to create a game with your own engine instead of with a highly polished and proven solution like CE3 or UE3? Building something which can compete with those engines would require loads of time, money and expertise from you and your co-workers.

If the only reason why you want to build an engine is because you think it'll be easier to build a game, you really shouldn't build one at all, trust me.

I gets all your texture budgets!

Why do you think it'd be more easy to create a game with your own engine instead of with a highly polished and proven solution like CE3 or UE3? Building something which can compete with those engines would require loads of time, money and expertise from you and your co-workers.

I know that my engine can't compete their engine but my game would be more prefect if i create my own game engine.
If you have completed a game with each engine, you wouldn't be asking this.

http://scientificnin...mes-not-engines

This is really bad advice.

[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1351169640' post='4993774']

I know that my engine can't compete their engine but my game would be more prefect if i create my own game engine.
[/quote]

Yes and no.

What you would end up with is an engine that does exactly what you want. Often though this is alot more complicated that tweaking an existing solution to meet your needs. For a hobbyist who has the intention of making a game for production and making money it is often best to use a third party solution if what you want to do is fairly standard stuff.

In time you will know when you need your own solution. I've worked at studios that have exclusively rolled their own stuff and it was alright, you feel in control and licencing etc is less complicated. It comes at a cost of time though.

[quote name='Inukai' timestamp='1351142460' post='4993685']
http://scientificnin...mes-not-engines

This is really bad advice.
[/quote]
Care to elaborate? I haven't read it in a while, but I when I did I thought it was precisely the advice that beginners should get.

[quote name='Sugavanas' timestamp='1351171264' post='4993782']
[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1351169640' post='4993774']

[/quote]

Yes and no.

What you would end up with is an engine that does exactly what you want. Often though this is alot more complicated that tweaking an existing solution to meet your needs. For a hobbyist who has the intention of making a game for production and making money it is often best to use a third party solution if what you want to do is fairly standard stuff.

In time you will know when you need your own solution. I've worked at studios that have exclusively rolled their own stuff and it was alright, you feel in control and licencing etc is less complicated. It comes at a cost of time though.
[/quote]

Given that the OP doesn't seem to know how to give proper background when asking questions, how to program, or how to spell "perfect", what makes you believe he has any chance of succeeding in writing an engine better suited for his game than a polished third-party engine?

Care to elaborate? I haven't read it in a while, but I when I did I thought it was precisely the advice that beginners should get.

I don't completely agree with that page either.

The advice given there is one of those typical "you should never ever build an engine and you should feel bad about wanting to build one" texts. I do agree that you shouldn't build an engine while still inexperienced or without a clear definition of the goals and future applications the engine will have to meet, but that doesn't mean that nobody should ever build an engine.

I gets all your texture budgets!

It's just bad insta-advice.

The guy has expressed an interest in writing an engine and there is a hell of a lot he can learn from writing that technology himself. He expressed no intention of making a game in his OP and so an insta-reply with a link to that article serves very little purpose and it is of practically no help.

I have never made a single worthwhile game in my personal time, i have always worked on various pieces of technology and still do today and that has served me extremely well in the games industry. Using Unity to make games however is only going to get you as far (in terms of your skillset) as writing games with Unity. I have worked on a commercial product with Unity and you don't learn shit about making games when using it. You just learn to use Unity and how to cobble stuff together.

If you really want to learn to make games you need to have a good understanding of how the stuff your game code depends on actually works. Game programming is not easy, its very technical. You have to be aware of all the same technical considerations as engine programmers do in order to do it well.

Since the OP asked about engines specifically (albeit it turns out to be a bit misguided in later posts) its important to just point him in the right direction with regards to developing that kind of tech.

However, in light of more recent posts in this thread it is clear that the OP is a bit misguided with his need to write an engine and if his intention is just to make a game then there is no better solution than Unity. I just object to that article being banded about as if its THE answer to every thread similar to this one smile.png.
The write-engines-not-games blog post doesn't recommend using Unity or anything of that sort: It recommends writing your games without an engine. After a while, you'll have a collection of code that has proven useful in several games, and then you pack those in a library and call it your engine.

I generally agree with that advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement