Is it true that SlimDX is being discontinued?

Started by
10 comments, last by Gavin Williams 11 years, 5 months ago
I came across this GD blog, which says that the SlimDX team has now moved to the SharpDX team. Which to me sounds like SlimDX will be no more soon, if it isn't already. Is this true?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Well, it's that particular project team is moving from SlimDX to SharpDX. It would be interesting to hear on the fate of SlimDX from one of the devs however, as it does seem to be dying now. One of the developers has moved on, and they've made a call for developers to help out. I wonder if anyone met that call and if its been fruitful.
It's not dying, it's simply stable now. Most bugs have been fixed and we have pretty much complete coverage of the DXSDK up through the last drop. However, none of us have any interest in doing anything metro-related, so we don't feel it worthwhile to add DX 11.1 support, as it's metro-only. If you don't need metro support, the library is as good as it's always been.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
That's good news (that you're still on over-watch). Although I don't agree that DX 11.1 is for metro only. I believe (and pls correct me if I'm wrong) that 11.1 is for Windows 8, Metro, and Server. So anyone with Windows 8 (disregarding Metro) will have access to 11.1. This is important, because of the improvements 11.1 brings over 11. For me, I'm looking forward to the unification of the framework, in that dx10 doesn't need to be used to provide some services ( notably text ) like it does now. I've also noticed that VS2012 graphics debugger can't debug my app when I have my dx10 text in there. Which is a real pain. And that alone makes me want to start working under Windows 8. But SlimDX is the core tech for me, so I won't migrate until it supports 11.1.

And yes, the SlimDX library is fantastic, I haven't come across a single bug since I started using it earlier this year.

It's not dying, it's simply stable now. Most bugs have been fixed and we have pretty much complete coverage of the DXSDK up through the last drop. However, none of us have any interest in doing anything metro-related, so we don't feel it worthwhile to add DX 11.1 support, as it's metro-only. If you don't need metro support, the library is as good as it's always been.

Microsoft either needs to fire or listen to their GUI design guys. And half their lawyers.

Edit: Any chance you could replicate the functionality or kickstart a project for that? Is DirectX part of an open standard? How about SlimGL?
Yeah I've never seen anything to indicate that 11.1 is metro-only, although I've never once tried to use it since it's only currently available on Windows 8.
Yes, perhaps not metro-only, but certainly Windows 8-only. I've no interest in all the updated libraries because they cut out the most gigantic market for PC games that currently exists: Windows 7. All the DirectX blog posts lately say to fall back to the 2010 SDK if you want to support Windows 7, so it seems rather pointless.
The new DX headers and libs from the Windows 8 SDK work just fine on Windows 7.
Except the ones that don't, which, according to Chuck's blog, include XAudio2, XInput, and all of the D3DX helpers. The removal of D3DX alone is quite the breaking change for users, one which I'm loathe to make this late in the product's lifecycle. I suppose I could always try to mix and match pieces, but that just seems like asking for trouble.
I'm going to be -- deep breath -- installing Windows 8 this week. I will at least take a look at the DX 11.1 stuff in detail.

SharpDX is a separate project by a separate guy. I wish him all the best but can't really comment on it otherwise.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement