Starting with a game

Started by
5 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 5 months ago
Can anyone mention how to start with the programming a game, and also the softwares i need.
Advertisement
Any idea
Sugavanas- The specific requirements really depend on what kind of game you want to develop. In general, however, a game development project should start like any other software development project, i.e. defining the goals, mapping out your classes, input and output, prototyping some of your ideas and unit testing them.

For a video game, the general software requirements are a graphics library - either something low-level like DirectX or OpenGL or higher level like SDL or SFML - a sound library - DirectX and SDL will also be able to handle this, also look at FMOD - and some way of receiving user input from the keyboard and mouse - again, DirectX or SDL.

You should also look at existing solutions, like XNA which is a C# toolset specifically for making games on Windows or 360, and Unity which is a fairly powerful game engine that will allow you to write your code in C# or Javascript (and I think they have support for a third language as well) and comes complete with I/O, sound, graphics and physics pipelines that you can take advantage of.

If you can be more specific about the type of game, it will be easier to give you less general advice on what types of software are available to help you.
If you are a beginner and want to learn how to program games you should just start working on a simple game, don't get into engine programming just yet. Set yourself some very realistic goals, make clones of small existing games in a language you feel comfortable in, or if you have no programming experience at all a language which is somewhat beginner-friendly.

The setting of realistic goals is very important at this stage as you'll get the most experience and knowledge out of actually completing a game.

I gets all your texture budgets!

Have patience, lots of patience. And as a good test of your patience, read this. It should answer all of your questions, and give you hundreds more.
Serapth is right. Maybe you want to work on something simple, like a tic tac toe. Player vs player is easy to do, but maybe try to implement an AI so the player can test his skills against a computer. Then you can go more advanced, maybe a text based version of poker or mancala. Just keep programming existing games and then you'll have an idea of what you need for a game that you want to make.
what
thanks guys, i will start from the basis.

http://kksshufflegame.blogspot.com/2012/08/shuffle-game-by-kks.html

This is a game i made earlier but it was made easy in vb 10

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement