• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Finished Pong - What I Learned

This topic is 1910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Yeah I have been working a lot the last few days. I plan to polish the game a bit more before I move on to my next programming project. Thanks for the feedback Alpha_ProgDes. I feel like I am on my way to bigger and better things. The first step is often the hardest but it is always the most important.

This is the stage where most games go and die. I've made a few games so far, and all sit here, with basic mechanics are working, just waiting for it to be done... The problem I've found is that that last 20% seems to take 80% of the time...(the pareto principle). And I have so many ideas of how to reimplement something after i've done it, that I usually spend some time in the engine coding doldrums, and then move on to something else with my YAGNI.

You are right polishing your game is 90% of the work at the end of the project. I am only have a few things i feel like i need to do. Make the AI a little bit better, add a score board, randomize the intial launch of the ball. I will do that this week. I have just started on working on Breakout today. I just want to keep this momentum going and keep working upon one sucess to lead to another.

Congrats, Pong is a great first step. I finished my version only about 6 months ago but I've gone on, like yourself, to make a breakout clone, then a space invaders clone and a blackjack game. All have taught me plenty but the most important lesson was that if you program it well enough and really fine tune your code, the carry over from one project to the next can get quite large. That means you only have to program in the details on your next project instead of starting at nothing again, which will massively decrease the time it takes to make your next game.

Good luck!

Congratulations... I'm gonna try it as soon as i get home. As other users pointed out polishing the game ( menu scores .. ) it's really boring compared to the game core and gameplay programming but extremely useful though.

small steps, thats what its all about. Good luck on your next project, pretty much the path i followed since i did Arkanoid as my 2nd which is pretty much the same :D.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement