How to Unsettle a Player

Started by
19 comments, last by epicpunnum 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello world! For a game in development, I am given the following limitations:

• The game itself is a side-scrolling puzzle game, and thus has a camera suited to that.
  • The game is presented without words, and so there will be no dialogue (grunts, wordless screams, breaths, etc. are okay)
  • Can produce animated cutscenes, but sparsely (will only be included while acquiring items/major story points)

Despite these, the genre is a horror game focused around various monstrosities; for the sake of this, just imagine there monstrosities as amorphous shadows. Throughout the game you will be entirely defenseless to them, and instead must run if need be. For this game however, I want to rely on more than just cheap jump-scares, as those require no finesse to achieve. Rather, I want the game to unsettle the player, make them nervous for what's to come, and be scared/conflicted at what they face.
So far, my ideas are as follows:

• Have the enemies eventually begin to sob/act afraid of you towards the end, creating uncertainty over reality.
  • Have a rare breed of enemy that is invincible to anything. Can kill you instantly, but moves at a slow rate (think Slender or SCP).
  • Areas in which being seen creates a deadly chaos of enemies that must be escaped.
  • Creating an enemy type/boss that would be seen as controversial to attack (eg: innocent-looking children)
  • Bodies strewn about, sometimes housing an enemy type.
  • Rooms that come before important parts, left completely silent compared to the other rooms, making suspense.
  • Avoiding presenting the mysterious threat at the beginning of the game, until enough buildup.
  • Being unable to attack, forcing flight instead of fight.
  • Offering fewer save points, and giving lower non-recovering HP on player, to make death more of a fear. (debating)

I would like your input. Which of these seem good/how could I improve upon these ideas? Moreover, to keep the game fresh, rather than constantly puzzle-based, what other ways can I affect the player in such a way? Giving examples from other games and personal experience is highly recommended.
I check fairly frequently, so if you require anything on my part, I'll try to help clarify or explain!
Cheers happy.png
Advertisement
Hello,

Is surviving the sole motivation in the game? Or are there other goals/plots? If so, you could have the enemies play with them, for example: If you have a typical "rescue the princess/boyfriend/friendly janitor"-story, add enemies that resemble that person and act as if they're relieved to see you.
concerning "non-recovering HP": How about two "healths", one physical and one mental. The physical would be as you described, the mental would go down whenever an enemy jumps out of his hiding place, the nearer to the player, the more drastic the health-loss. However, imo such a mental health would then be best to be refilling. I think Amnesia had a similar system, however I didn't play the game so I'm not sure about that.

bw,
Tobl
Think my post was helpful? Want to thank me? Nothing easier than that: I sure am are a sucker for reputation, so just give it a little keycode 38 if you like. ^^
I would add in events that represent common fears amongst people.

• Unknown - The less we know and see, the better. Ambiance. Creaking, walking sounds. Scratching. A flickering shadow in the corner that vanishes. Some of these should actually represent the monsterous elements, though some could be happenstance.
  • Mirrors - Some people are terrified of mirrors in the dark. I think the fear could be related to seeing something behind you or more with your features being off. Again, players should not have the opportunity to stare, evaluate, and deem the event as a non-threat.
  • The Dark - Something moving. Looking out the window and seeing something slowly swim up from the blackness.
  • Mental Degradation - As already mentioned by Tobi. I'd suggest keeping the effects subtle until a full mental breakdown so it doesn't become laughable.
  • Stalked in a Place of Safety - Attacks in a bathroom or other places in extreme privacy. In a game setting: maybe have certain conditions protect the player (ex being in full light scares the shadow creatures away, though they should menace from a distance for effect) but eventually that stops working (ex. player hides in a lit garage, door ripped off by the slow, invincible baddie you mentioned)
  • Being alone - There should be a depection of safety, harbor, but it should be rare. No one is there to save you. Things we take for granted for contact are shown to stop working: internet, cell phones, television. Maybe the player finally finds a CB radio in the shed and something happens to prevent them from calling for help.

I would move away from endless chase. I find it gets tiring after 20 minutes, so maybe break it up with other events.

Just some thoughts. I'd love to hear more about the progress on your game!
Changing the players animation when something is about to happen. IE the players avatar senses it and the hint is it getting tense, and similar.

Having the players decide between fast areas that render you unable to attack(or use some attacks), and slow areas where you can.

Choosing between areas that you know will have an ambush predator, and one that won't.

Offering fewer save points, and giving lower non-recovering HP on player, to make death more of a fear. (debating)

While this may indeed create a fear of death, you don't want to overdo it. After a while, it will become more of a nuisance than a fear, and people will just quit the game in frustration. I've had some issues with this before =)

Mirrors - Some people are terrified of mirrors in the dark. I think the fear could be related to seeing something behind you or more with your features being off. Again, players should not have the opportunity to stare, evaluate, and deem the event as a non-threat.

^^ Good Idea here - seconded. To add to this, you could make things appear in the mirrors that don't exist in reality. Just imagine the psychological effect of not being able to even trust your own reflection.

Stalked in a Place of Safety - Attacks in a bathroom or other places in extreme privacy.

As someone who's always considered making a horror game but never had good enough ideas: this is really, really fascinating. I never considered this before, it such a simple concept but it makes so much sense.

It gives me the idea of having a "safe room" where no enemies can enter, it's a place to heal/rest/save etc but maybe later in the game an enemy unexpectedly bursts in which is totally unexpected because you were told this place was safe from them.
Just posting real fast so I don't know if anyone else has posted this:

You want to "unsettle" your player? I would think about it in terms of topics. What kinds of topics are you going to present the player?

Present revolting topics. Topics we wouldn't want to face in reality.

• Suicide
  • Genocide
  • Rape
  • Excessive (I'm talking showing organs) gore

Juxtapose them.

Murderous evil; Innocent child
Strong man; deep, debilitating pain

More and more and more.

Thinking about how to unsettle a player based on topic (and how it was executed) worked for me. I made a small game recently about a man with schizophrenia (the player was the cause), by the end the man wanted to kill himself to get rid of you, asking the player to "take them home". Through various events (and hopefully some inner turmoil) the player jumps of a cliff to the sharp rocks below. The sound cuts as you fall, everything feel like its in slow motion even though the fall is only 2 seconds long, and the screen cuts to black.

So I guess my final point is not only should you think about discussing specific disturbing topics, but think about hitting all the senses to emphasize the event.
Innocents being mind controlled or transmorgrified (permanently) into enemies are some of the more unsettling things for me, personally. Particularly if there is a lot of screaming involved.
The only really scary games I have played is the FEAR series, which had some pretty interesting elements (along with the standard BOO! type scares).

I remember in one of the expansions, you walk to a door in a completely normal hospital hallway, like 80% of the hallways in the game. The door at the end is locked... but when you turn around, you are suddenly in a completely different place. with this false door juxtaposed in an otherwise alien environment. That could easily be translated to 2D by the player finding a false door, and turning around to find essentially a completely different level out of nowhere.

I believe FEAR also had a sequence where you were inches from being rescued, but the helicopter (or whatever it was) got shot down. I remember that being extremely disturbing, since escape seemed so close and suddenly I was felt more alone than I did before.

Miscellaneous:

• Have elements that are completely unexplained and non-interactive. Have ethereal lights floating in places just out of reach.
  • Have a shadowy figure following you that always disappears when you try to intercept it.
  • Similarly, have the player catch a glimpse of something that moved out of the field of view, disappearing into a solid wall or some other barrier (I'm thinking the G-man from Half-life 2).
  • Enemies that are invisible except for glowing eyes. Gets me every time.
  • Have unescapable traps where the player is killed, only to find out that it was a hallucination. Might be hard to pull off without the player reverting to saves before the illusion is revealed.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Thank you so much everyone so far for your input, and I'd certainly love to hear more! For a more refined sort of direction in terms of story telling, and types of fears, I will clarify that the game itself takes place in Earth's orbit; however, the clarity of this setting is blurred throughout the story to other locations in space (think galaxy backgrounds, rather than other planets).
Because of the setting and the ideas already in place for the story, I can definitely agree more with ones that are more ambiguous, or eerie.
If it helps the discussion, I'd like to say that these worked best (in no particular order):

• Tobl: Mental Health
  • Xemmy: Stalked in a Place of Safety & Mirrors
  • Rybo5001: Breaking Idea of Safety
  • Mario D.: Contrasting Revolting Topics
  • Prinz Eugn: Mystery Things & Death Traps

In terms of mental degradation, I would like to show this as it is a key part to defining the ambiguous story of the game. However, I'd rather keep it from being an interactive element. Most of the fears themselves can exhibit a sign of insanity however.
As for the terms of two types of health, I would want to stray from that. My reason being is that I wouldn't want to distract from the puzzle aspects. But I do understand people saying that a high death rate would be bad/frustrating. Perhaps a middle ground then?

It goes without saying though that I really appreciate all of your posts, and that I would love to hear more on the topic of fears, not just methods, as Xemmy made a good point about that, and having some common fears could really play on more than just the unknown could.
-Cheers tongue.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement