Sign in to follow this  

Embedding Direct3D 9 into a winform

This topic is 1907 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey GameDev

I'm creating a tile based 2D RPG and I've come to the stage where I need to create a world editor.

I don't know a great deal of programming windows or buttons and stuff so I'm looking to use Direct3D 9 in conjunction with a WinForm.

I need to be able to have a Direct3D window take up some of the WinForm, but still have space left over for my buttons or droplists.

Does anyone know a tutorial or could explain to me how I'd be able to do this? Embed a Direct3D 9 window into a winform...

If there is an easier/better way I'm all ears [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img] Thanks GameDev Edited by littletray26

It can be done, but you need to create a client area within your window specifically reserved for D3D and use its handle ([i]not[/i] the form handle) in D3D calls. Otherwise DirectX will indiscriminately draw all over your components and it'll be a mess. What is your language? C#? It might have a "canvas" component you can use... at least I could do that in D3D11. Don't know about D3D9.

[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1351332731' post='4994382']
It can be done, but you need to create a client area within your window specifically reserved for D3D and use its handle ([i]not[/i] the form handle) in D3D calls. Otherwise DirectX will indiscriminately draw all over your components and it'll be a mess. What is your language? C#? It might have a "canvas" component you can use... at least I could do that in D3D11. Don't know about D3D9.
[/quote]

My language is C++.

How would I go about reserving a space in the form and getting it's handle?

This topic is 1907 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.