Are you planning/making a Windows 8 (metro) app?

Started by
20 comments, last by lauris71 11 years, 5 months ago
Are you planning on making any metro style apps (of any kind not just games)?

I'm just wondering what people are thinking about the new version of Windows and whether they think it is worth spending the time developing for the Windows app store.

Interested to hear your responses :).
Advertisement
You forgot "hell no."
I'm still supporting XP for my applications, Metro kinds of rules that out.
By the time we get to Windows 9, either these two will get on the bandwagon or will be exclusively coding for Mac and *Nix :)

For me, I'm still on the fence.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

By the time we get to Windows 9, either these two will get on the bandwagon or will be exclusively coding for Mac and *Nix smile.png

For me, I'm still on the fence.

Up until now most of my development has been done on the Mac or other *nix platforms but I'm strongly considering getting on the Metro train. I upgraded my computer to Windows 8 yesterday and other than some initial problems with finding where everything has gone I think it is a pretty good. Certainly seems fast and stable (although one day is not really enough to comment on stability).

The only downside is my motherboard manufacturer has dodgy Windows 8 drivers on their site, I'll wait and see if they update them.
Yes most definitely, we already have a few apps in the pipeline at my dayjob where we see great possibilities to enhance our customers processes. And Windows 8 has renewed my interest in game development on a more hobby level.
I'm not entirely happy with Windows 8, but I'm going to support it for a few of my projects. I've got a game that I'm working on right now that I'm probably gonna port at some point. And I'll support it for my game engine too.
I am actually planning to stop programming when 9 comes out. I don't like gatekeepers, and when they're forced on me, I'll find something else to spend my time on. The field is moving on, going into places I'm not comfortable following. Just getting old, I guess.
Windows 8 is a sign that Micro$oft is up to their old empire-building tricks again. I've actually considered moving to Linux, and I *Hate* the GPL. (It's not free software. It's masquerading as free software, but it's not - You pay with your entire code base)

There's other OS's, but they're not that complete, I've found, and I'm not an OS programmer. OTOH, if someone kickstartered a Modern non-Licenseware OS, it may be the first kickstarter project I put money in.

Windows 8 is a sign that Micro$oft is up to their old empire-building tricks again. I've actually considered moving to Linux, and I *Hate* the GPL. (It's not free software. It's masquerading as free software, but it's not - You pay with your entire code base)

There's other OS's, but they're not that complete, I've found, and I'm not an OS programmer. OTOH, if someone kickstartered a Modern non-Licenseware OS, it may be the first kickstarter project I put money in.

Use FreeBSD or OpenBSD if you don't like the GPL. Both are complete and very stable and BSD licensed which allows you to do pretty much anything you want with the code as long as you supply a small bit of license text along with your binaries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement