Just starting out...python a good choice?

Started by
18 comments, last by wodinoneeye 11 years, 5 months ago
Recently I've become inspired to start programming something. I know I'm probably years off of making actual games but I would love to reach that point eventually. I just started learning HTML for website design purposes. I figured if I don't get far with this then at least I will have a basic grasp on how to change up my own personal website (albeit a very basic grasp).

A friend recommended I start learning Python before anything hard like C++. I would like to someday be making games...are Python and HTML good choices starting out?
[size=2]Follow me on twitter.
Advertisement
Yes, they're fine.
HTML + CSS go hand in hand, and are excellent way to start.
HTML creates the layout of the page, CSS creates the style of the page.

That only permits static pages, though. If you need to dynamically generate stuff, you'll need Javascript (for client-side interactions) and/or PHP (for server-side generation of HTML).

[hr]

Python is an excellent language to start learning programming with. You may never actually need to learn C++ at all, though it's worth learning sometime down the road. I'd say stick with Python for at least two years before exploring other languages - not because it's "easier" (though it is), but simply because Python is powerful enough for whatever needs you have, and it's important (while learning) to stick with whatever choice you make.

As an aside, Python can be used instead of PHP for server-side HTML generation, if I remember correctly.

So to reduce things down:
Computer programs: Python.
Static websites: HTML + CSS
Dynamic websites: Add Javascript and more Python or else PHP.

Good luck on your journeys! It's a long road, but a beneficial and satisfying one, so stick with it for the long term (5+ years). smile.png
Yes, Python is a fine language to start with. Actually, I would recommend writing everything you possibly can in a nice, very high-level language like Python, until there's an actual need to write portions of your program in a lower level language.

I actually have a python video tutorial series, which can help you build a simple memory match game.

Give it a try.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Go with Python or Lua. I found Lua to be the easiest, but Python has more documentation.

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

My own introduction to programming was through web design. Python is a perfectly fine choice. Actually, you really don't have to ever write any C or C++ code. You might enjoy languages like Java or C# better. But if you're truly set on building up to C++ as a goal, I'd actually suggest JavaScript. Not only does it fit perfectly with HTML and CSS, but much of the syntax, and many of the concepts in the language are the same or extremely similar to those in C and C++. Also, it's really fun.
Python is a good choice. Much easier than C++ to learn and use.

Recently I've become inspired to start programming something. I know I'm probably years off of making actual games but I would love to reach that point eventually. I just started learning HTML for website design purposes. I figured if I don't get far with this then at least I will have a basic grasp on how to change up my own personal website (albeit a very basic grasp).
A friend recommended I start learning Python before anything hard like C++. I would like to someday be making games...are Python and HTML good choices starting out?
Who said that it will take time to make games? Big games like World of Warcraft may take time but small games you can make in lesser time. If you are using python to learn programming then I would say that you use the book "invent your own computer games with python". It is good learning material and if you keep at it you will learn both python as well as make some games.
Enjoy

Python is a good choice. Much easier than C++ to learn and use.
[quote name='Aus' timestamp='1351371521' post='4994516']
Who said that it will take time to make games? Big games like World of Warcraft may take time but small games you can make in lesser time. If you are using python to learn programming then I would say that you use the book "invent your own computer games with python". It is good learning material and if you keep at it you will learn both python as well as make some games.
Enjoy
[/quote]
I just assume. Like most developed skills I imagine reaching a decent level in programming takes significant time and patience. As a self taught guitar player, I am fully prepared for this. I didn't start writing instrumentals on guitar when I first started playing. Likewise, I don't expect to be making games right away either. The sooner the better though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. smile.png
[size=2]Follow me on twitter.
If you really want to start making games and you want tons of tutorials go Java !
Python is an excellent starting point. I myself had an actual teacher in a computer science class but I hear that this is a great learning source (python 2 specifically, 2 and 3 are not compatible):
http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/index.html

You can do ALOT with python. Infact it is commonly used for server side web scripting so may go nicely with HTML, CSS and javascript. It may be easier to learn javascript having learnt python first. Python is very much like structured english.

It *can* be used to make games too. pygame is more than upto the task of writing beginners games however it isnt hardware accelerated and on later projects its a little slow, even the creator admits it. There are other libraries available though. You can also use the popular XNA with ironPython (python for .net) or slick or JMonkeyEngine through jython (python for the JVM/java virtual machine)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement