What is the best free image converter? (to png)

Started by
15 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys.

i would like to know what is the best and free image converter that is able to make a specific color transparent and convert it to png images happy.png
Advertisement
ImageMagick is free, has a lot functionality, and is quite popular. It can definitely convert to PNG, and I believe that you can specify a color key with -transparent.

ImageMagick is free, has a lot functionality, and is quite popular. It can definitely convert to PNG, and I believe that you can specify a color key with -transparent.

Ok, thanks alot smile.png
As MJP said, ImageMagick is great, and very powerful - though it has a bit of a learning curve. For most image conversions, I just open them in my chosen image editor (PaintShopPro - commercial), and Save As a different format. I'm sure the free Paint.NET would support transparent PNGs, and you'd get a great image editor for free to boot.

As MJP said, ImageMagick is great, and very powerful - though it has a bit of a learning curve. For most image conversions, I just open them in my chosen image editor (PaintShopPro - commercial), and Save As a different format. I'm sure the free Paint.NET would support transparent PNGs, and you'd get a great image editor for free to boot.

Ahh ok, ty smile.png
Yeah Paint.Net is totally capable for this sort of thing if you want a GUI app, and you're okay with converting one image at a time. ImageMagick is a command line app, so it's better if you wanted to batch covert a whole lot of images with a script.
GIMP. Free, works mostly like Photoshop.
also irfanview with GUI configurable batch conversions, resize and rename. excellent !
Here is a handy and free online image converter software available "imverter.com". It is a free online tool to convert an image, logo or photo formats. which is primarily intended for Photo conversion like PDF to png, PDF to JPEG, PDF to Tiff and many more formats..
For Windows I highly recommend Pixelformer, it's an absolutely awesome GUI tool when you need a straightforward, no-fuss image editor. I use primarily for resizing transparent PNG's and creating icons containing more than one size (support for this seems... lacking). Also converting icons to PNG's and vice versa. Never failed me yet. May not be the exact thing you're looking for, but I definitely suggest you put it in your toolbox.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement