What is the best free image converter? (to png)

Started by
15 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 11 months ago

ImageMagick and Fastone are both good.However ,I preferimage conversion component by the way, Im a junior student starting to process image by programming.The one suits me is the best.

Advertisement

For me:

irfanview (free, Windows) for tiny things and one-off conversion. It is very quick. It can handle a few batches, but tends to be too slow on anything above 30 pictures.

The Gimp for visual conversions that need touching up. Photoshop if you are rich or at a work.

imageMagick for more serious batch conversions. For example, on my hobby of photography I have an imageMagick script to run through all the newly imported images and create three sizes of thumbnails each with different types of watermarks and file them in various folders.

Definitely FastStone.

I wouldnt recommend ImageMagick, however. Other than being an incredible overkill, It has a few nasty bugs that tend to show up at the worst possible time.

FastStone is rock-stable, abount an order of magnitude faster than similar programs and offers you a nice preview window during conversion where you can mess with the quality slider.

While I personally use PaintShopPro for editing, only a true masochist would want to use it to convert the images - it's as cumbersome as possible.

Starting up Photoshop / PaintSHopPro for a conversion is also a drastic resource hog.

If you keep your machine running nonstop, and want to alt-tab to photoshop or paintshoppro (with 10 images open), then good luck with that. FastStone barely blinks...

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Hi,

Lately I have been juggling GIMP and Inkscape. Both combined are capable for almost every 2D project to produce professional quality works at no cost.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I'm looking for a free image converter, too.

Most of the free online tools do not have many functions.

But the professional ones are not free.

A friend suggests me to use the free trials of some professionals first, because I'm a green hand on dealing with images.

But, Camillem210

I want to knoware there any differences between this free image converter recommended by my friend and yours?

Which one is much better.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

Hey guys.

i would like to know what is the best and free image converter that is able to make a specific color transparent and convert it to png images happy.png

Microsoft Paint. No need to download anything. It's already installed. The transparent color is "white."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

But the professional ones are not free

Hi,

Here is a very common and popular error which people have. Open Source and no cost ("free") programs are used by many professionals every day in their work. These "free" programs such as GIMP and Inkscape are professional. Game development at every level from beginner to experienced world class professionals is saturated with "free" programs of every category imaginable, such as coding tools.

As you learn and growth, you will see better how very true these words are to you.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement