Java Game Dev capabilities and help concerning C++

Started by
3 comments, last by tebriel 11 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I'm a beginner programmer,
I need some help concerning Java game development capabilites and how learning Java may help me in learning C++. Also, any help on game development in general is very helpful. but let's stay on the main topic, which is how does java do performance-wise and what kind of game quality it can produce. Also i need some info on the difficulty of the language and how much time I need to be good at it.
P.S. : Any example of good 2D and 3D games (besides minecraft and runescape) will be very helpful.

Thank you
- Manny
Advertisement
Well, your post is kind of unclear, however I'm guessing you want to understand Java in terms of game development.
Java is great. C++ fanboys love to talk about how it's slower because it's an interpreted language and how crappy it is, but in reality, it's great. There is a abundance of game development libraries, and developing in it is really easy. With Java you can get a good game together relatively quickly (Look at Prelude Of The Chambered, it was developed by the creator of Minecraft and made in forty-eight hours.). Also, why do you want to know if it'll help you learn C++. The answer is yes, however why does it matter to you? If you know Java, C++ will be easier however chances are you won't learn it in some time. Short Answer:
1) Java is fine performance wise
2) Java will make transitioning to C++ easier, however Dynamic Memory will probably confuse you.
3) It can produce great games. It's not the language, it's the Programmer that makes the game.
4) Everyone is different. Learning Java takes a long time. To actually learn a language and understand how it actually works you need to work with it for a long time and go through an insane amount of trial and error.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Well, my main target in Game dev is C++. I tried starting with that but it was too complicated and difficult for me, so I did some research on programming languages and I was unsure what to choose, C# or Java, so I just chose Java and here I am. :)

Thank you superman3275
Instead of targeting a language I think you should target a genre and platform.
That will get you which language and tools you should make and / or learn.
See my signature, depending on the type (2D or 3D) you're interested in, there's a good Java lib. Although, I'd still highly recommend you first get your core Java skills & general programming experience before doing anything serious with those, particularly 3D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement