MSVC 2010 vs MSVC 2012 - Performance question.

Started by
14 comments, last by kunos 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I have the opportunity to download MSVC 2012 Pro with a student license and I'm currently using 2010.
I'm curious if anyone has anything to say about migrating from 2010 to 2012, primarly in regards to performance in C++.

I would love some better intellisense, but can't afford Visual Assist. Is intellisense any better in 2012? How responsive is the IDE? I've read they focused on Virtual Memory enhancements, but that's from Microsoft and I would appreciate other sources than the creator of the product.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Better performance in what way?

As for the IDE: it is responsive on a modern machine. It takes more resources than earlier editions, but that is normal for software.

As for the compiler: 2012 compiler is not significantly difference in terms of performance.
Managed C++/CLI intellisense is busted in VS2010 but that's about the biggest difference I've seen so far (I'm sure there are more). My general rule with Visual Studio is to wait till SP1 comes out and see how well that is received. Not to mention VS2012 isn't supported by some toolsets/plugins yet (NVidia NSight comes to mind).

Personally, I'd just save your money for now unless you REALLY want 2012 for some reason.
VS2012 has better syntax highlighting than VS2010; classes, namespaces, typedefs have colors now.
I imagine VS2012 would be a little bit better than VS2010, afterall it's newer, so I guess it might have better auto-vectorization, new C++11 features (move, etc) should make it better as well.

IDE itself is responsive. No problems that I haven't had with VS2010, sometimes random freezes, intellisense messing up, etc. Restart fixes it most of the time.
The main thing to watch out for is that anything compiled with the 2012 compiler won't work on XP.

There are some code generation enhancements - it's a bit smarter with intrinsics for example. However the only way to find out for sure is to test it on the code you care about.

Having said all that you can try it for free - just download the express edition. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-products
I like VS2012 express for C++. Seems to be a bit quicker on my system than 2010. I haven't tried the new auto-vectorization but I've heard good things about it. Intellisense is still hit and miss. Works a bit smoother when it does work, but seems to just turn itself off from time to time and takes all the syntax hilighting goodness with it (I find that quite visually jarring TBH). And macros (like boost preprocessor library) still cause it to give up and just start posting errors/squigillies all over. It also seems to go crazy over complex macros, inserting braces and enters at weird spots and straight up refusing to work.

Its a step up IMO, but not by much. I was hoping for me TBH.
2012 is faster and less buggy than 2010. tip: uninstall extensions, they use way too much memory.
do you write directx? vs2012 has surprisingly good amount of features for directx. it even has a hlsl designer.
2012 cant create xp programs. so its not really option as a go-to IDE for a lot of people.
visual studio intellisense if still not good enough. i get a lot of false errors.
code compiles fine but intellisense insists on reporting hundreds of errors.
there is not enough options to tweak it neither.

my setup: Eclipse for coding, cmake for building, VS for debugging.
seems to be the best setup for productivity.
more people should use Eclipse, it is not slow as it used to be.
I was mainly concerned with IDE performance, not how well the code optimizer works etc.

I'm a student so I got access to it for "free" - but if it doesn't yet work with NSight then it's not very interesting for me until it does. sad.png
I was hoping they improved Intellisense some because many times even clicking "Go to Declaration" doesn't actually go there, it just shows a lot of classes with the same method name which is quite useless.

2012 cant create xp programs. so its not really option as a go-to IDE for a lot of people.

This should not be true anymore:
http://blogs.msdn.co...8/10357555.aspx

... will try it myself soon.

edit: yep, works as advertized.

I like VS2012 express for C++. Seems to be a bit quicker on my system than 2010. I haven't tried the new auto-vectorization but I've heard good things about it. [...]

If you haven't done anything, it is already auto-vectorizing stuff. I have not done any artificial tests - only checked the log on my actual code - and it tries to auto-vectorize a LOT of things for me at least.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement