Feedback on Unique Zombie Survival Game Idea?

Started by
26 comments, last by dtg108 11 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, I'm Dakota Grossman, and I need your help. I have just started using Unity 3D, even though I have been working with DAZ studio for a couple of months (it’s an animator/3D creation program.) I am hoping to make a zombie survival game with a twist. You will survive, but you will have to find ammo, food, etc. Also, there will be missions, such as exploring a building, finding someone, or other things (It will have a story). This game will hopefully have good graphics, but I am not hoping to make a HUGE blockbuster best seller, because we are not there yet.
There will be a couple of modes. The first mode will be Story. It will follow the campaign of a survivor as he finds more people and makes important decisions. Next will be survival, which is where you survive against oncoming hoards of zombies on a free-roam type map. You will have to get ammo, food, water, etc. If we have the chance, we will make co-op. This isn’t for sure, however. This game is FPS
Here is the very first mission on Story Mode (Not Yet Developed):
The Character (Eric Reece) wakes up in the middle of a field. He has no recollection of anything. However, he sees that he has a police uniform on, so he knows that he must have been a cop. Also, there is a cabin standing He stands up, and this is where you take control. The objective simply says: "Find out what's going on." When the character gets to the door, a cutscene starts. The character grabs a note off of the door, which reads: "The world has gone to hell, run." The character turns around when a zombie pops out, knocking the player to the ground. There will then be a button that pops up on screen, and once pressed, the character will grab the gun and shoot the zombie.
That's all I have so far for the story. Later on, you will find more people in the story, and they will come with you. Also, there will be some important decisions that will be made throughout the game that can affect the outcome. Survival MIGHT be co-op, like I said.
One more thing, please don't say that I can't do it, because I am just the animator/creator. I also have a team of coders and artists (check out my thread in the classifieds if you want to join).
That's it guys. I'm open to constructive criticism, ideas that I could add to my game, and, ultimately, the question: would you play it? Hopefully I will release a demo, soon and then you can play.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
Advertisement

I'm open to constructive criticism, ideas that I could add to my game, and, ultimately,

Hmmm... you have some hard requirements for your criticism. At least I would sugguest to look into modding an existing game much like DayZ, these will bring you an huge step closer to your goals.

the question: would you play it?[/quote]
No.
So basically, DayZ + WarZ + The Walking Dead?
I'd play it. The question is if you can build it? wink.png
Amadeus, yes, I love the walking dead, never.played day z or the other game you mentioned, though. Can I make it? I am an animator, and a 3D artist. I am in the process of picking a programmer and another 3d artist. Hopefully, we can make this game. You're welcome to join.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!

Posted Today, 10:49 AM
Amadeus, yes, I love the walking dead, never.played day z or the other game you mentioned, though.

Before claiming to have a unique game idea (such as your OP title would suggest) be sure to play the competition.
I see nothing here that is unique. That doesn't go to say that the idea isn't good, but its definitely not unique.
(With that said, I have a lot of respect for unoriginal games so long as the execution is there. i.e.: I love starcraft 2 even if its just a rehash from Dune 2)
Play those mentioned games. You will become a better game designer (since that's the role you are taking right now)
Also, I also recommend the MMORPG called 'the Secret World', it's not great in terms of gameplay, but some of its missions are awesome. The investigating ones really make you look around the place, seeking clues, and piecing the info together to find out what's going on.

Also, is this FPS ? TPS ? Top--down ? Isometric ?
Are there RPG elements; like, inventory (grids or slots ?), classes ?, character advancement ? character progression ? Armors ? Trading / Bartering ? (with AI Merchant or Players on Co-op ?) ETC ETC ETC
PyrZern, it is an fps, as mentioned above. No inventory, no classes, no ranks, (maybe team leader), trading (maybe in the future, can't say spoilers), trading on CO-OP. I'm going for realism here.
The problem here is that ur entering a STACKED field. Another Zombie survivor FPS? Ok, but what makes this unique? Why should THIS version of the formula concern me?

I see in ur post u have not played Day Z, the mod for Arma that is soon coming out as its own game.
Day Z is, right now, the latest craze in the Zombie survivor FPS genre, well here is what you need to know.

Day Z has permadeath. In other words u die... ur dead. No saves, no extra lives, no respawn points. U play, till u die.

Apart from that its also ultra realistic in the sense of taking damage, eating food, sneaking around, loot etc etc.. One thing is getting Zombies on ur tail that will follow u forever, whil u will run out of stamina running to far, another thing is other players, which permiate the landscape and brings with them everything u might imagine of PvP douchebaggery and random murder.

So Day Z is designed around this mechanic, the permadeath.

So that's an interesting, new and fresh take on what is by now a very old formula.
What do u have?

-Exo
I was worried as soon as I saw the thread said this was unique. Are you saying that most game ideas on this forum rip off stuff? Not that this is unique.
aattss, I wouldn't say rip-off. Many people from different corners of the world can come up with the same or very similar ideas on their own, or simply by being inspired by the same things. (zombies, + FPS + realism + etc)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement