Feedback on Unique Zombie Survival Game Idea?

Started by
26 comments, last by dtg108 11 years, 5 months ago

Did anyone else chuckle upon seeing the word 'unique' beside the words 'zombie survival game idea'?

Well....actually no. Because I has a very unique idea for a zombie survival game as well. :D

Not everything has been done. E.g. the survival aspect is still lacking is zombie survival games.
Advertisement
Look into State of Decay. Its coming out for xbox live arcade and PC in 2013, but it is all about surviving in a zombie apocolypse.

The walking dead, this is pretty much what the walking dead game is all about, decisions decisions decisions. (not an FPS though)

I think people are misunderstanding this. It's not like the Walking Dead where the whole story is decisions. You also play like a normal FPS.
I know the Infected vs Human part is not unique. I haven't seen zombie games where the create a class and currency systems are in play. PLus, a lot of you guys are listing games that aren't even zombie games. It's hard to explain, but I'm throwing a lot of these out into this game in a different way then some.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!

[quote name='Exodus111' timestamp='1351748403' post='4996087']
The walking dead, this is pretty much what the walking dead game is all about, decisions decisions decisions. (not an FPS though)

I think people are misunderstanding this. It's not like the Walking Dead where the whole story is decisions. You also play like a normal FPS.
I know the Infected vs Human part is not unique. I haven't seen zombie games where the create a class and currency systems are in play. PLus, a lot of you guys are listing games that aren't even zombie games. It's hard to explain, but I'm throwing a lot of these out into this game in a different way then some.
[/quote]

I wouldn't discredit the games people are bringing up. Even if they don't have zombies, I don't think that was really their point. Just because a game features zombies or not, they share similar elements. When told that the ideas are unique and "never seen it done before", they obviously approach the ideas with skepticism. And the games listed by people are great examples of the different features you're looking to add.

And from what I've read, I can't say I disagree with everyone. The ideas have all been done before in multiple games; with zombies and without. To me, it seems like you have a lot of good ideas, but you didn't do your research. As it sits to me, a lot of other designers had the same great ideas. There are tons of games that have already done your games features. And that's where things get tricky. Designers have to learn to adapt and researching existing games. Adding the same features isn't a bad thing, but you need to learn how to use them to your benefit. How they were implemented in games before you.

If you don't, your game will feel like a poorly cobbled together mess, and you don't want that.

So the last thing I'll say is this. Stop being so fixated on your idea being unique. It isn't. Your idea is not original. And that's okay.

Just make a game that you want to play and you're passionate about and hopefully others will see that and love your game too.

Sorry if I come off a bit harsh, I just hear so very many people spout how their ideas for a game are so original and they get really bent out of shape when they find out its been done before. Who cares? Just make the game good and people will respect/like it.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

{OBSOLETE}

-accidentally posted twice-

"The world has gone to hell, run." The character turns around when a zombie pops out, knocking the player to the ground. There will then be a button that pops up on screen, and once pressed, the character will grab the gun and shoot the zombie.

I think if after the player found the note, there was more of a lull where they're slowly lead into the exposition of the zombie threat, it'd be more interesting and leave a bigger impact on the player.
Sounds exactly like every other zombie survival game (DayZ, Warz, Project zomboid, the list goes on), i dont see anything unique about this at all.
There are so many simular games in development that making this probably will be a waiste of time.
Thanks for the info guys, can you give a list of some good (free :)) games like mine so I can play them and learn?
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement