There's meaningful decisions in Guitar Hero?

Started by
1 comment, last by Daaark 11 years, 5 months ago
In Brenda's Book, Challenges for game Designes, on page 3, the authors states that, and quoting
"Each of this is an example of meaningful decision making in a game: ... Pressing the right buttons at the right time in Guitar Hero"

I can't see how is this a meaningful decision, your only decision here but pressing the right button is failing, how can this be a real decision?
Advertisement
Hello,

As in so many cases. extra-credits has a great answer to that and I couldn't agree more. Yes, quoting is cheap, but why make long post reasoning about it when someone has already put your opinions to words in such a fine matter. (ec-fanboy out)
But really, what they do is basically drawing a clear line between calculations, which have a obvious logical answer, and choices, which don't have that, but several answers that could all be considered "correct".
In guitar hero, you can either try to hit the button, giving you a chance of gaining points, or not try, definitely not giving you points. The answer is clear, the question therefore only a calculation followed by a challenge, not a choice.

bw,
Tobl
Think my post was helpful? Want to thank me? Nothing easier than that: I sure am are a sucker for reputation, so just give it a little keycode 38 if you like. ^^
There are decisions in those games. You rack up bonuses and modifiers and choose the best times to apply them, and they have a huge effect on your final score, especially in multiplayer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement